Ultra-Jerky MP4 Exports Out of Blue Iris

Reaction score
Any idea why I'm being plagued with this? They seem to play back nicely when I export them, then here we are a week later, I move them via stick to a different PC to work with video editor, and they look like crap.

Attachments

Reaction score
Okay, now I'm really baffled...the MP4 I posted above plays through here just as it should, typical sputter of 15 FPS, but not the jerking stop/start that it does on my machine using the Windows video player.

Reaction score
Okay, so I just slapped a short video together linking a few MP4s out of Blue Iris, and they play smoothly. I'm just befuddled as to why the media player pushes them through like crap, then when you string them together (or post them on IPCT), they look okay.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is all of this being done on the same computer?

I have seen this issue trying to play exports on other computers sometimes - it is an issue with the computer not the export.

Reaction score
No, my BI console is a different machine altogether, but I just played back several MP4 exports on that machine that I made on that machine and it seems to do similar. I'm going to copy a couple of MP4s onto a stick and take them back to the BI machine and try them. I'm wondering if it's not just the clunky Windows media player that comes canned with Windows 10. I wish you could see how bad it is, but like I mentioned above, I posted the very same MP4 here for you to see and it plays just as fluidly as it should. And it's not like each video jerks differently each time you play it, they jerk (stop and start) at the same points each time. But anyway I guess as long as my finished videos play fine, then it's a non-issue. It is perplexing though.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Could it be a situation with not enough memory onboard, or disk thru-put or the USB stick is slow?

Reaction score
VLC???

Okay, some findings: I took the suspect MP4s back to the BI machine and they don't pulse and jerk, so yes, this symptom is machine-dependent, and yes, my regular "work" desktop which I've been bringing the clips to for editing is kind of wuss, it's a quite-new i3 with 8 gigs of RAM, but that should do fine, shouldn't it?

And this: on this wuss machine, if I set the video player to "repeat" and loop the videos, the jerkiness does not occur, only on the initial start-up. Could it just be that this machine has trouble "spooling up" these short clips, and then once it gets going, it's fluid?

Reaction score
Could it be a situation with not enough memory onboard, or disk thru-put or the USB stick is slow?
Could be. But, I'm not playing these off the stick, but 8 gigs should be enough...

And correction to a misstatement above: when I said "canned video player" on Win-10," that's erroneous...this new i3 that I use to remote to my office is on Win-11. But, still same clunky video player that's on my Win-10 Pro BI machine.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Like I said in my earlier post, I have that too trying to play on different computers. I think it is hardware issue in some computers - perhaps the onboard graphics card struggles for example.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
i3 and 8 gigs, web surfer. If they slapped a 2.5" spinning disk in it as well, that could do it. the machine could be using disk virtual memory or what that is... with swap files,,,,, to compensate for the 8 Gb of ram.

Reaction score
i3 and 8 gigs, web surfer. If they slapped a 2.5" spinning disk in it as well, that could do it. the machine could be using disk virtual memory or what that is... with swap files,,,,, to compensate for the 8 Gb of ram.
Hahaha, very interesting. Yes, no spinner at all, just 256 g's of SSD and that 8 gigs memory. So you think that could be it, uh? Web surfer :rofl:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a guess. No knock on your PC. it might have an option in the BIOS to select how much shared memory goes to Graphics. See if you can max it out.

I've worked on a lot of PC's for people over the years. I've had a lot of Best Buy type laptops, that are great for office, and school, but if you ask them to do big boy stuff, they chug.
They have ultra fast internet, and then show me an Acer Laptop with 4 or 8 gigs of memory, a spinning hard disk that sleeps with 1 minute of idle time, and somehow just chugs along.....But when you browse on their phone,.,,,,things go fast.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I remember my Gaming laptop from way back in the Core 2 Duo days, the Dell XPS m1730.....Had dual 2.5 spinners. LOL IN RAID...with a real Mobile graphics card. I think the max MEm was 4 or 8. she was a machine, for its time.
They could make performance machines, but the demand for light, mobile computing, was taking over, and heavy ass laptops were dying off. Except for maybe the Dell Precision line, of CAD type machines.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.