UL listed ip cameras

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just had a big box camera system disqualified for not being UL listed. It was not my choice. I just contract to install them for their IT guy. The new store was getting 64 Lorex cameras. Two NVRs and two POE switches. Had they waited until after the last inspection it would probably never been an issue.
I've seen many lorex systems at the local convience store. The only thing Lorex has certified "UL" is their pre made cable. (which we don't use anyway)

I'm gonna start removing all the cameras soon. I have not asked what system they are gonna install. In the past they piad Avigilon about 50,000 for a complete install at a few of their other stores. Avigilon I believe is UL listed.

Any coments would be apreciated.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is a brand new grocery store. It's arcitecture is beautiful. Built in a high end area. All my Low Voltage cables are nicely ran with grommets, Jhooks etc. properly fastened and the patch pannels look great. There was no problem with the inspection concerning all our cat6 cable. The polycom phones were no issue or any of the access points and the security system passed. Just failed the Lorex cam system.

I mentioned to the IT guy over 3 years ago he should look at using a server with something like BlueIris installed and whatever cameras he wanted. The reason I recomended he go that directions was because Lorex doesn't support a self owned cloud support system (NAS) that we also install in another part of the store. You have to do it with a file transfer work around. Clearly Lorex is a big box system their IT guy liked due to the cost.

I called the IT guy today and asked what they were gonna install but he doesn't know yet. They've paid up on all my work, so I'm good.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Standards were created by people to insure several things, which is, first known specifications. From there depending upon what industry it would call out how something is assembled, made, designed, installed. In other industries companies design and build their wares to meet specific safety and durability levels.

As it relates to UL for security camera's this can encompass quality of video, energy consumption, to all facets of networking.

The UL mark in this instance has absolutely no relevance to the actual performance of said security camera. If that wasn't the case than other 2nd tier companies would not dominate the current market today. UL is a marketing and for profit company and in this instance it carries very little weight as it relates to value / performance / quality.

Big players like Axis and others have simply used this UL listing as a means to keep market share.

How does anyone ever take over a market?!?!?

Either by offering something others don't - or offering the same at a lower price. In the worst case scenario as is talked about here its a method to exclude others and reduce competition because brand X has not paid to have their hardware tested and UL listed! :angry:

If UL was truly important as it relates to security video all of the (UL Listed) camera's would be forced to open their firmware to be audited like open source software is - none are. The other obvious reason(s) for pushing UL hardware is it greases the hands of the unions and all the lazy assholes that run the circus.

Anyone who lives in NYC can vouch for the never ending presence of the union jack boots.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was kinda hoping someone would recomend certain camera brands that have the UL certification. I've seen external power supplies with the ul mark. (just cretifing the PS. Many ip camera systems will sell you a 16 port poe switch for use with their cameras, but lack the ul certification.
"This has nothing to do with NDAA certification.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Probably because most of us here do not care about a paid marketing designation LOL.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I was kinda hoping someone would recomend certain camera brands that have the UL certification. I've seen external power supplies with the ul mark. (just cretifing the PS. Many ip camera systems will sell you a 16 port poe switch for use with their cameras, but lack the ul certification.
"This has nothing to do with NDAA certification.
That information will be indicated on the vendors site and specification document if that specific hardware is UL / cUL listed. You can check from the 1st tier vendors that span Axis, Avigilon, Bosch, Pelco, Sony, Samsung, Mobotix.

You’ll want to see what UL listing that hardware falls under. As noted early on it has nothing to do with Protection IP / IK Rating, EMC, Safety, Environment, or Operational Temperature.

Hikvision is UL rated for a specific safety rating.