Uh oh, BI reverted to Evaluation Version

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Summary for anyone whose Blue Iris reverts to Evaluation Version when you install an update

Blue Iris gets one year of updates from the time you license it. If you install an update after your support is expired, then it will revert to Evaluation mode. At the time of this post, the best solution is to revert to your prior version using the Blue Iris Updates panel, which should get you the option to extend/renew your support. It's never a bad idea to have BI make a copy of the current executable if you're doing updates.

1593379611617.png

Original post:

I updated BI and it reverted to an Evaluation Version, AND has no option to renew support either. Am I missing something? I would expect having to renew in order to get tech support, but not to actually install and use the current patched version of v5. If they upped it to v6 then I could see that. Eliminating the Upgrade/Renew button in the Evaluation version's panel seems like a self-defeating way to sell renewals.

So if anyone's thinking about upgrading, do have it save the previous version in case you get backed into a corner like I did. Fortunately I was able to downgrade back to a non-Evaluation flavor since I used the "make a backup copy of the current executable" checkbox.

1593293805426.png

1593294029429.png

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I updated BI and it reverted to an Evaluation Version, AND has no option to renew support either. Am I missing something? I would expect having to renew in order to get tech support, but not to actually install and use the current patched version of v5. If they upped it to v6 then I could see that. Eliminating the Upgrade/Renew button in the Evaluation version's panel seems like a self-defeating way to sell renewals.

So if anyone's thinking about upgrading, do have it save the previous version in case you get backed into a corner like I did. Fortunately I was able to downgrade back to a non-Evaluation flavor since I used the "make a backup copy of the current executable" checkbox.

View attachment 64828

View attachment 64829
There are a bunch of threads on this. The prior versions are also in the forum download section. This one year for minor upgrades was in effect since BI4. The developer graciously allowed users to keep updating for free. Pretend he called the new version BI6 if it makes you feel better.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have said this before, but can we make a thread like this a sticky so we don't have a new thread created every few days LOL

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
There are quite a few threads about this. The developer has started to recently enforce the rule on getting updates when out of support. This was always stated but previously never controlled/enforced.

Also the updates are not simple bug fixes but in many cases enhancements and addition of requested features which is why the author has started to enforce the rule on updates.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I enjoy seeing this topic pop up weekly when I hit the "What's New" link and seeing who will respond... :)

Last edited:

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I did look for any prior topics before posting, but apparently did not search hard enough :) Yes, a sticky might be useful since patching will land people in a potential Catch-22 if they didn't think to back up the old version.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Put your support expiry date in your calendar so you're reminded a week or month in advance to renew support
Great idea :) I was able to revert to the working executable, use the Renew/Extend Support option, then upgrade. That netted me the new substream features, which lowered my CPU load impressively.

There are already multiple stickies on many topics, that obviously a lot of people never read.
Reminds me of work (IT tech support). I often refer to the "Information Tornado" and the difficulty of keeping up with what our new thing is THIS month, version 3.1 of the thing we had six months ago.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Before asking a question search the forum first...
One way to search the forum is to use Google search
in the google search window enter.. site:ipcamtalk.com ?????? ..where ?????? is the items/terms you are interested in.
Example
site:ipcamtalk.com PALE MOON BROWSER
site:ipcamtalk.com evaluation