Ubiquity AP vs Linksys EA8500 in AP mode

cornholio

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I need to add a switch to my AP to deal with 3 devices I want to connect over ethernet. I've heard so much about the Ubiquity AP but think that adding another hardware switch in front of the AP to deal with 3 ethernet connections is a waste of money. Why not just get a nice router with similar rating and put it in AP mode?

I think the answer is pretty obvious and so I apologize in advance if you think this is a waste of your time. But I need my AP to have at least 3 ethernet ports and wondered if buying a router and putting it in bridge mode will give me the same network performance as putting a ubiquity ap with similar ac rating with a switch in front.

Last edited:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
If you don't need the Ubiquiti management features then use a regular router in AP mode. I bet a consumer router won't have the lifespan but hard to judge that ahead of time though. Some last a long time.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Depending on what you're paying for the Linksys EA8500 it could be more expensive than an Ubiquiti AP and a switch. That said, if I was setting up a wireless network and only using one access point, it probably would not be Ubiquiti for the simple reason that they don't have a built-in web interface and that makes it more trouble to set up and maintain a single AP.

cornholio

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Depending on what you're paying for the Linksys EA8500 it could be more expensive than an Ubiquiti AP and a switch. That said, if I was setting up a wireless network and only using one access point, it probably would not be Ubiquiti for the simple reason that they don't have a built-in web interface and that makes it more trouble to set up and maintain a single AP.
You're right. It is more expensive to get the router than to get a ap and a switch. it is, however, also another device. which might be ok if i weren't trying to reduce the clutter behind my tv :). I could probably go for a cheaper router that gives me similar features. i chose the 8500 because there is a dd-wrt for it, has mu-mimo, gigabit switching and because i trust the brand. I welcome other cheaper router recommendations. ea6900, 7300? I just want 4 ports, gigabit speeds and reliability. TP links have served me well. nethgears haven't. haven't tried asus but hear they are good. linksys to me just sounds more reliable. never had trouble with a linksys.