Typical install for attic access?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nice post @TechBill , very helpful!

Thanks for that information and those tips @zero-degrees. I def do not want to be replacing my cameras any time soon!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@code2 , what do you use for wire hangers?
I used the grey PVC for electric to create conduit runs for the ethernet, it worked very well to get into areas where the attic ceiling was too low to crawl into and was reasonable cost wise.

Also how does one deal with the cameras bulky pigtail?? Do you typically leave it on the outside or drill a big hole and pull it through??
I like the junction boxes ( public fixtures ) for this, allowed me to make smaller holes in the walls.

ah6tyfour

n3wb
Reaction score
Also how does one deal with the cameras bulky pigtail?? Do you typically leave it on the outside or drill a big hole and pull it through??
Sorry, hijacking this thread. I'm new to this and this might be a dumb question, but what is the bulky pigtail for? I was under the impression that the power was coming through the CAT6, so I assumed all I had to do was pass the CAT6 through the wall and click it in place on the camera just like I would a normal network cable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, hijacking this thread. I'm new to this and this might be a dumb question, but what is the bulky pigtail for? I was under the impression that the power was coming through the CAT6, so I assumed all I had to do was pass the CAT6 through the wall and click it in place on the camera just like I would a normal network cable.
the 12v adapter is for folks not using poe...On some higher end cameras you can plug into a female jack on the camera itself.

ah6tyfour

n3wb
Reaction score
the 12v adapter is for folks not using poe...On some higher end cameras you can plug into a female jack on the camera itself.
Oh, okay. So if I'm using Dahua starlight turrets, I should be okay to just plug in using CAT6? I was going into this assuming I could make just small holes in the walls, so imagine my surprise when I saw that picture and thought i needed a hole large enough to get that big bulky plug through the wall.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, okay. So if I'm using Dahua starlight turrets, I should be okay to just plug in using CAT6? I was going into this assuming I could make just small holes in the walls, so imagine my surprise when I saw that picture and thought i needed a hole large enough to get that big bulky plug through the wall.
The starlight turret will have a pigtail with an Ethernet jack and a 12v jack....you either need to put it through the wall or use a junction box...the dahua junction box for the turret fits perfectly and looks great.

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ive used junction boxes on all of mine because I didn't want that big of a hole out to the camera in case i move the camera for some reason.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suggest you read these two links.
Looking for some advice and direction!
And the CliffNotes in the wiki at the top of the page.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
Going back to the original question and drawing, you can have a switch on the camera end that has several cameras plugged into it. If you are running across an attic or the other side of your house, theoretically, you could run a single cable across the house and put a PoE switch on the camera side. Then make shorter runs to your cameras. I have a 16 channel non-PoE NVR in the living room near the main tv. Luckily I have a network cable there which runs across the house to my network closet. In the back of the house I have a PoE switch that runs all of my cameras. The builder used cat5 to install phone jacks all over the house that ran back to the network closet. I just changed out the jacks to 8 pin keystones.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@code2 , what do you use for wire hangers?
They are just nylon ones come in different sizes and work great for keeping it neat sorry for the late response
You can see the white nylon clamps

Nylon Cable Clamps and Wire Holders | Waytek Wire these are the same but I ordered from else where where it was like 10,000 for like 20 bucks or something.

I went thru a lot of them after doing close to 2000 ft of wiring in a friends WAY OVERSIZED home and the fact he want to have the equipment hidden in that over sized attic well a off set in there that no one would find unless you actually explored. Even tho he would never go in the attic let alone where the equipment is hidden which could house 2 families by it self I have some pride to make sure its nice looking and make it easier for me if it ever needs to be fixed otherwise his video feed, mouse and keyboard to the the NVR is in a office which is all he needs access to.

Attachments

Last edited:

PapaBill

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Being Held Hostage in Central Calif By Democrats.
Wiring is a mess at the moment, had to add something quickly and I got lazy.
Question, is that the dual docking station I found on Amazon?
How would that work with a nvr unless ya got a iris setup?
I know I am asking alot of questions all over the site, just want to make sure when I put my cams up I do it right the first time.

PapaBill

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Being Held Hostage in Central Calif By Democrats.
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got the 6u for 160ish back when i bought it, i don't think the 9u was available back then or else I would of gotten that. You just need to measure what you plan on putting in there and see if it works for you. I'm still happy with my purchase.