Two or more than two cameras on one cat5

mwhitnell

n3wb
Reaction score
1st option: I have one cat5 cable running out to a single camera. I also have 120v power there. I wish to install two additional cameras there for a total of 3 cameras, without running additional cat5 cables. I am thinking about adding a 4port switch, power the cameras and 4port switch with a 12v supply from the available 120v, feed each camera from one port on the 4port switch. Connect the homerun cat5 to another network switch in the house.
? Can I just leave the homerun cat5 plugged into my 16port POE switch? or do I need to plug the homerun cat5 into a non POE switch like netgear GS116.
2nd option: Use a 4port POE switch, power it with a 48v supply from my 120v available, plug each camera into the POE switch, this avoids running a 12v supply cable to each camera. If I do this should I fed the homerun to the 4port POE from a non POE switch or from my 16port POE switch.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
1st option: I have one cat5 cable running out to a single camera. I also have 120v power there. I wish to install two additional cameras there for a total of 3 cameras, without running additional cat5 cables. I am thinking about adding a 4port switch, power the cameras and 4port switch with a 12v supply from the available 120v, feed each camera from one port on the 4port switch. Connect the homerun cat5 to another network switch in the house.
? Can I just leave the homerun cat5 plugged into my 16port POE switch? or do I need to plug the homerun cat5 into a non POE switch like netgear GS116.
2nd option: Use a 4port POE switch, power it with a 48v supply from my 120v available, plug each camera into the POE switch, this avoids running a 12v supply cable to each camera. If I do this should I fed the homerun to the 4port POE from a non POE switch or from my 16port POE switch.
option 3
https://www.amazon.com/OdiySurveil-IEEE802-3at-IEEE802-3af-Power-Out-Extender/dp/B0198H6EUK/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1549341415&sr=8-9&keywords=poe+powered+switch

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When using option 3, I presume the load of the three cameras (or whatever) must be known and compared to the supply available?

Implication being, depending on the connected load, it may need a PoE+ supply feeding it, yes?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When using option 3, I presume the load of the three cameras (or whatever) must be known and compared to the supply available?

Implication being, depending on the connected load, it may need a PoE+ supply feeding it, yes?
yes.