Two networks, one modem

RadioSteam

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My question is simple but I'm not sure if the answer is simple.

I have an NVR and would like to give it only access to internet time-servers for chron-accuracy, and occasional operating system updates as I would manually allow (I would like to make it as hack-proof as possible). I would also like to have the NVR on a separate wired camera network to keep traffic congestion down, I work from home and need my home network to remain un-bogged down with camera data traffic.

I am envisioning two routers, a wired/wireless one for general home network use, and a wired-only router that is somehow a sub-network of the first router. In this way, the general network traffic is contained separate from the subnetwork wired network under the second router. Most or all network hardware is up for purchase, so I am not married to anything except the Spectrum cable-modem and my Amcrest NVR, and cameras already installed.

Is this something that would work? I'm not new to networking, but would like second opinion(s) and advice. I would like to avoid multiple setups and physical configurations as much as possible to get a working setup. I have much of the wiring in a crawl space, and buried conduit for LAN wire to two outbuildings. Rework will be painful!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A downstream router sees and can access the first router without restriction (unless you go to extra steps like a VLAN switch in between or a router with VLAN capabilities) so it is not a solution to preventing hacking and is no different than just having one router in terms of bandwidth usage.

Further, unless you are using P2P or port forwarding (where someone could be hacking or the NVR is periodically going out P2P), the NVR is only sending data across the router when someone is accessing the NVR. So if you don't have an app open 24/7 displaying a live feed, then the router is not having any bandwidth used by the NVR.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
As long as you split the incoming network behind your modem or other service provider supplied equipment, you should be able to split the signal into as many parts as you want. I know people will put a switch between their internet source (cable modem for example) and their routers to allow multiple firewalls/routers to work in redundancy mode.

Obviously you want to be careful. Anything connected to that switch will have a direct connection to the internet without any firewall protection. If someone accidentally connected a computer directly to that switch, it would likely be compromised very quickly.