Turrets directly on wall or with a wall mount?

Directly on walls or on a wall mount?

• Direct on walls

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Wall mount

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

TheBest

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the best standard? Mounting turrets directly on a vertical wall or using a wall mount which makes the camera horizontal?

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MarcW

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
does it really matter? If you can point the camera at the angle you want then mounting it directly onto the wall will save $$$ by not having to buy the mount and it would be less obtrusive and less easy to break off the wall by vandals...no?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A simple junction box is an option too. It's mostly a question of how big of a hole do you want to make in the wall and if you need the extra weatherproofing a box or mount provides (iotw, how sheltered is the camera).

TheBest

n3wb
Reaction score
does it really matter? If you can point the camera at the angle you want then mounting it directly onto the wall will save $$$ by not having to buy the mount and it would be less obtrusive and less easy to break off the wall by vandals...no?
I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

TheBest

n3wb
Reaction score
A simple junction box is an option too. It's mostly a question of how big of a hole do you want to make in the wall and if you need the extra weatherproofing a box or mount provides (iotw, how sheltered is the camera).
I don't like how the junction boxes make the cameras stick out even more. All these cameras are going to be under eaves.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't like how the junction boxes make the cameras stick out even more. All these cameras are going to be under eaves.
If you don't use a junction box then you need to drill a bigger whole to fit the whole pigtail through the wall. I believe where the RJ45's connect together are really bulky due to the connector used. But if you don't mind drilling a bigger hole then that's fine. I like to use the junction box because a small hole can be drilled and the pigtail can be wrapped inside of the junction box.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A bigger hole will be fine if it's in a sheltered location like your soffit, just fill it with something (caulk, coax seal, duct seal).

Last edited: