Trying to understand bandwidth up/down

thelorax

n3wb
Reaction score
I just bought a Hikvision DS-2CD2132 and have it setup. It is bogging down my internets down stream. I have tried adjusting the FPS, resolution and bitrate and am having no luck. I'm trying to understand why it would be using down and not up? If I unplug the camera the download speed goes back to normal.

Thanks in advance, this is all new to be but really enjoying learning about these IP cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just bought a Hikvision DS-2CD2132 and have it setup. It is bogging down my internets down stream. I have tried adjusting the FPS, resolution and bitrate and am having no luck. I'm trying to understand why it would be using down and not up? If I unplug the camera the download speed goes back to normal.

Thanks in advance, this is all new to be but really enjoying learning about these IP cameras.
Welcome to the forum. The camera should not affect either upload or download speeds if you are not actively streaming to a remote location...what router are you using with this?

thelorax

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. The camera should not affect either upload or download speeds if you are not actively streaming to a remote location...what router are you using with this?
I had it connected to EzViz, but disabled that as well through the admin section. I'm using a Motorola NVG589 through ATT service. I had the HTTP and RTSP ports open but have since closed the RTSP port. I'm thinking of doing the same with the HTTP just to see if something else is connected.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If it is maxing out your upload, this could cause download to appear slower (and likely inconsistent).

Also if any part of the camera's network path is over WiFi then that could easily cause speed issues for other users ... like if you are streaming the video to to a phone or a wifi-connected PC, then other wifi usage may suffer as long as that constant load is active.

thelorax

n3wb
Reaction score
No it's all hardwired and not touching the wifi network. It has something to do with where that camera was connecting external. I blocked the http port and that fixed the problem. I was testing out a cloud ip service but canceled it. I'm curious if they only canceled my user account but were still making connections. I'm going to change the http port and be more aware of what external services are given access. I appreciate all the help, great forum here.