Trying to recover 2231R-ZS. Can still get an IP, not yet bricked

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
While cleaning up some of my cabling, I disconnected an old 2231R-ZS cam that I have. Reconnected and it didn't come back up. I've taken it down and moved it to a known good cable directly off of the switch and I've reset if many times.

It does power up fine and I can get an IP. If I reset I can get it back to 192.168.1.108. I can (usually) manage to initialize and change the IP using the Config Tool. But it seems that the connection is shaky. Generally slow seeing the cam and making changes, If I run a continuous ping, I'll see it drop out sometimes. When trying to access the web interface, it's hit or miss. Again, slow to load. Occasionally I can get the interface up and get to the point where it's looking to set the time, but I can't get past that point. Get an error when saving the config. I did get it to load completely once and thought that I was back to good, but after reconnecting, no-go again. Tried reloading firmware via the Config Tool but it either says it didn't connect or will start and then just sit at 0% complete forever.

Any ideas to recover short of breaking out the USB TTL?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
You could try the firmware load via the web interface. Just a shot in the dark, but often computers respond to illogical shots in the dark.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, I've not been able to get that far again. It stops at setting the time. Should have tried the first time that I got in but didn't know that it was going to be such a problem at that point. Keep trying it. Maybe get lucky again.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Something seems corrupted. I'm getting odd text for the login (sys.UserName, sys.Password), buttons, and funky error messages.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm assuming you tried the reset button? Some posts have suggested resetting 3 times in a row in conjunction with firmware loads. Never have needed to do that myself.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, many times and in a variety of ways. It resets fine. But doesn't get back to a completely clean state I don't think. IP and user account reset as usual. I can go into Config Tool and initialize and reset the password. If I come out of that and try to access the cam using that same password it won't go and I get things like the above. Once in a while I can change the IP from the tool, but usually that fails. Ping will show several connection errors say every 25 - 50 or so pings and then picks back up OK again. Probably just put this one aside until I feel like trying the TTL.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you sure you don’t have a cam on the same network that has defaulted back to default?

Maybe stating the obvious/teaching to suck eggs but thought I’d ask anyway

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ive seen similar weird text labels and f**ked up GUI actions when there was a browser problem, something to do with the plugin.

Clear cache completely on browser, use a different browser?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had that once and I held the reset in for 2 minutes and heard the IR filter click several times and then it booted up fine.

I would also try not using the config tool. Do it the old fashion way. I have never used the config tool.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you sure you don’t have a cam on the same network that has defaulted back to default?

Maybe stating the obvious/teaching to suck eggs but thought I’d ask anyway
Naaa... good thing to check. I did. I can get to the cam fine as far as IP goes, it's just doing anything with it once I'm there.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Ive seen similar weird text labels and f**ked up GUI actions when there was a browser problem, something to do with the plugin.

Clear cache completely on browser, use a different browser?
Tried several from different machines. Same thing. The weird labels I think are the names of the entities sys.whatever as variables, com.whatever as UI components. No idea why it's doing that. Usually I get the normal labels but sometimes that instead.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I had that once and I held the reset in for 2 minutes and heard the IR filter click several times and then it booted up fine.

I would also try not using the config tool. Do it the old fashion way. I have never used the config tool.
Haven't tried that. I did do it through several resets but not that long. Will try it longer. It's one of the fiddly little internal buttons so hard to keep it pressed. Look to find some way to clamp it.

I don't usually use the tool either but with the browser I can't get past either the first login or if I do get beyond that, then it gets stuck at the point where you set the time. Was trying to use the config tool to bypass that. I was hoping that I could use it to overwrite the firmware but can't keep a good enough connection.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Haven't tried that. I did do it through several resets but not that long. Will try it longer. It's one of the fiddly little internal buttons so hard to keep it pressed. Look to find some way to clamp it.

I don't usually use the tool either but with the browser I can't get past either the first login or if I do get beyond that, then it gets stuck at the point where you set the time. Was trying to use the config tool to bypass that. I was hoping that I could use it to overwrite the firmware but can't keep a good enough connection.
Use the eraser end of a pencil to hold down the button.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
No luck with any of the above.

It seems to be in some sort of an error loop. Below is a ping trace over time with the red showing unsuccessful pings. You can see the repeating pattern with the same timing over and over. In between I can get to it at times but not with enough regularity or time to do much of anything.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Every time I've failed a reset, I didn't hold the button down long enough. Have seen just the partial reset and needed to hold it in longer. Use a robust 12V (3-5A) 3rd party power supply when powering up. I think I'm holding it down long enough. I've had to time it.

SD

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I used a little clamp and left it for a loooong time. Like 5-10 minutes at least for one try. I can see it going through multiple resets from the connection lights. I've tried it while powering, after powering, 12v powered, etc. Goes back to uninitialized with a .108 address, can get the IR filter clicks, etc. The cam seems to reset fine. Just doesn't reset whatever is wrong with it.

Tired of messing with it. I'm giving up on it until I have a chance to try reloading firmware using TTL Spent too much time messing with it already. Have another cam that I can put in that spot for now.