Trying to find correct POE injector for ds-2cd3345-i

Alex Tait

n3wb
Reaction score

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The camera spec is only stating what the maximum power load it draws is.

The injector says 12v 1A in both title and product description.
It does not say 802.3af compliant nor does it say 'active', so it's a bit light on detail.
"Power Output: 12V 1A" suggests it's a passive injector. An 802.3af injector is nominally 48v
And it's too cheap for an active injector, which is what the cameras ideally need.

Given a short (say just a few meters) of Ethernet cable, and a passive PoE splitter at the camera end, you would probably be able to power the camera via it's 12v power tail.
But a normal active 802.3af compliant PoE injector will work up to the full 100m cable length.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If your going to run more cameras in the future you may want to buy a good un-managed 4-port POE switch.

Alex Tait

n3wb
Reaction score
Certainly the device at the link above does appear to have the right specifications, and should work.
Personally though - for an element in the chain that's fairly critical - I'd go for a known brand name such as TP-Link or TrendNet, for example:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRENDnet-TPE-113GI-Gigabit-Ethernet-Injector/dp/B007Q87KP2/ref=pd_cp_147_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=17AFCHKB006487SM0EJ1
A fair bit more expensive, but likely safer choice when connecting to the mains supply.
thanks guys... I should have been more patient... I ordered the Chinese version from aliexpress... Now I am having doubts! Went against my own rule of not buying cheap products which plug into mains..

If your going to run more cameras in the future you may want to buy a good un-managed 4-port POE switch.