Trying to catch rats on camera

Reaction score
Hi!
I have a rat infestation in my apartment but am having a hell of a time catching them on camera. I've hired people to help, and we have these cameras up: Montavue 8MP Smart Motion Varifocal Turret Camera - AI Functionality, Smart Motion Detect, 4x Zoom, 165ft IR Night Vision- Montavue MTT81130-V-AISMD. This footage is cropped and I slowed it down to 0.001. The things are everywhere (recently it's picking up humans on cameras that aren't near a window--no humans in the apt). I know it looks like nothing but I swear, they are there. Sometimes, even slowed down to 0.001 I'll get just a black line of motion. I also just get blurred blobs that will be overtop a cord, etc.
Anyone have any tips or suggestions for grabbing clear footage? I know this footage may not be sufficient. I'm happy to post more if it would be helpful.
Thanks!

Edit to add: I am renting and need to show the extent of the problem. I've had traps and poison down for months with brief periods of calmed down activity. I included two pictures from yesterday when motion registered as a human.

Attachments

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the advice would be the same as provided in your other threads....just translated for the camera you have now regarding settings (if you even have the ability to change some settings)..but even worse than the camera you purchased previously as you had a 2MP on the 1/2.8 sensor and now have an 8MP on the same 1/2.8 sensor...

Last edited:

holiday

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I also had a rat infestation in my house and they poop and urinate all over in my store room.

So i bought a cage from ebay and it came within 3 days.

Within a week of getting the cage.. i managed to catch 3 of them. Once you catch them you have all the time in the world to take all the videos you can of them.

They were so cute and with the success I have, i wanted to catch more.. but alas.. they got the message and disappeared.

mouse.jpg

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a cabin that sometimes gets mice. I have two interior cameras, and the only one to ever capture a mouse is when it ran in front of the camera, like 2' away. Now, this is a cheap Hikvision PTZ interior camera, but still, it is probably similar to the ones you have, if older. However, there area variety of traps - sticky traps, live capture, snap traps, that will all allow you to catch the damned things. I recommend the TomCat snap traps.

Link -->
Bait them with a small amount of peanut butter. Other traps will often just feed the mice...ask me how I know!

If you want to, for some reason, catch them on video to prove a point, or something, get a 4 MP camera from Andy (EMPIRETECANDY). He can help you select one, they work great, and they will pick up the motion.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Very similar to TVille's recommendation, I use these: These kind of traps are the absolute best I've found, and trust me, I've tried them all. They also work great for mice, chipmunks, and moles (yes they also come out to eat sometimes we've watched them). My favorite bait (as it seems to be all of their favorites) is a little bit of peanut butter in the bottom of the cup with a few sunflower seeds on top of the peanut butter...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Why are people trying to capture videos rather then catching/trapping the damned things?

A few years back we had a problem with mice and I went for snap traps over a camera to sort them out.

As pointed out once they are trapped you can take as many pics/vids you like
Been trying to trap them for months. It's been a nightmare and at this point I need proof bc they seem to be under the floors. I can't be in there bc of severe allergy. They're NYC rats--very hard to trap.

Podagrower

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Invite these good dogos over for a play date. If a rat springs a trap and survives, they will avoid that location. I've had to resort to feeding the rats (leaving the trap unset) for a couple of weeks and then setting it to get some of the stubborn ones. Then there's the dumb ones that I've killed with nothing in the trap.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the advice would be the same as provided in your other threads....just translated for the camera you have now regarding settings (if you even have the ability to change some settings)..but even worse than the camera you purchased previously as you had a 2MP on the 1/2.8 sensor and now have an 8MP on the same 1/2.8 sensor...

Ok. Thanks a lot. I've really tried to figure this out these cameras on my own but I couldn't and hired someone to help me purchase a system. He installed it as well. So I'm relying on his help but we're having a hard time.

OK
Just get a cat home. I will give you company;):highfive:
i have a cat and while she will catch mice, she hasn’t caught any of these. Some of them are nearly her size.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have been chasing this rat around for weeks. His usual track has been up and down the Palm trunk. (bottom right) Don't use bait because the Hawks and Owls would be poisoned then. I usually use the trap on the ground, but the possums/racoons/stray cats have been tripping the trap. I tied the trap to the Palm trunk with string, but the rat would sit on the metal strike bar and it would just fling him up in the air. He became wise to this and then always avoided the trap. Had a lot of collateral damage to the flying squirrels in the mean time, but they have been raiding the bird feeders anyways. I placed a piece of Styrofoam under the opposite side of the trap, to make it a little more level and half way set the trigger for more sensitivity. This way he would not want to sit on the meatal strike bar. Finally some results!