True Network Video Recorder

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First, let me stress that I am far from an expert on these products.

i'm looking for a true network device. Not a NVR that requires you to cable back to the device. I would like to connect the NVR to a network and have it communicate with cameras that are on the network via their IP addresses. Going one step further, it would be nice if this device could communicate with remote cameras via DYNDNS. Does such an animal exist! Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Any NVR can do what you are describing...You do not need to homerun the cable..Even the NVR's that have POE do not require you to use those connections.. You do need to make sure the NVR is compatible with the camera you choose...stick with the same brand NVR and cameras.
With respect to connecting to remote cameras via a dynamic dns service, if the NVR allows you to enter the address it should work...This certainly works with pc based NVR like blue iris. The issue you will have is bandwidth because the remote cameras will always be streaming to the device and could exceed your monthly limit if you have one...or slow your connection..

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm running BI right now. One of my installs (far from me unfortunately) running BI and 4 Foscam cameras (all wireless) is very unstable. All of the cameras are visible and functional using Surveillance Pro but when I add all 4 cameras to BI, one or 2 cameras drop of (No Signal). I can't seem to figure it out. If its a PC issue, a NVR is far cheqper than an i7 PC. Can you recommend a NVR? Right now, I'm pretty much only using Foscam cameras. Thanks again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not aware of any nvr that works with foscam...However i believe the synology diskstations do, (http://www.amazon.com/Synology-DiskStation-Diskless-Attached-DS213j/dp/B00CRB9CK4#) but you will have to pay about 200 for the unit, + another 100 for an extra two licenses (it comes with two). I dont think your issue is your pc (although if it is you dont need an i7 for 4 foscams....a 250 dollar haswell i3 from the lenovo outlet, or 300 for an i5 will be more than sufficient).....Foscams have always not played nice with blue iris...Foscams and their clones are junk.It would be cheaper and better to replace the cams than to buy new hardware although if your pc is dated that my be something to look into. What are the specs on the pc you are running?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wire up the foscams to your network... i bet wireless is why your cameras are unstable.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My network only became unstable when I installed Blue Iris. I never had any problems using Surveillance Pro, it could also be only pulling the substream which requires less bandwidth and processing power from the camera...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is Surveillance Pro for pc or android? because if its a mobile app its not the same...blue iris would be pulling a stream 24/7 vs the mobile app only when you are logged in..

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i bet its always been unstable, BlueIris is just exposing this fact to you.. correlation != causation.. Substreams require much much less bandwidth, then multiply that by 4x.. the Main stream is chewing up every bit of wireless bandwidth you have.

Typical HD substreams are in the 1-2Mbps range, Main Streams are in the 8-10Mbps range.. so 4x substreams need ~8Mbps and 4x main streams need ~40Mbps

cameras dropping out on WiFi is typical, especially when running 4 cameras.. go turn your microwave on for 10mins and see if your cameras still respond. (Hint 2.4GHz WiFi = Very Low power Microwave & Microwave Oven = Very high power Microwave). If you had a 1200w WiFi access point you could cook a nice meal with it.

WiFi is fine for devices sending lil bursts of data every once and a while, like surfing web and the likes... You wont notice all the dropouts and interference until you have something streaming alot of data 24/7 non-stop.. Wireless is inherently unstable and completely beyond your control, sometimes it works w/IPCameras.. most often it does not.. IMHO any camera that is on wireless is not reliable enough for any serious security role. Anyone can knock your camera(s) off the network intentionally and inadvertently (even if they have a 99.99% signal), you cannot prevent it.

Last edited by a moderator:

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Fenderman,

Could you point me in the direction of the equipment? The supplier that I'm currently working with is saying no dice but I have a hard time believing the equipment fir this stuff is that archaic. I simply cannot run dedicated runs from NVR to each camera in most of my installs. I can, however, take a single CAT5e run to a location and then distribute from there.

Any info/links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Any NVR can do what you are describing...You do not need to homerun the cable..Even the NVR's that have POE do not require you to use those connections.. You do need to make sure the NVR is compatible with the camera you choose...stick with the same brand NVR and cameras.
With respect to connecting to remote cameras via a dynamic dns service, if the NVR allows you to enter the address it should work...This certainly works with pc based NVR like blue iris. The issue you will have is bandwidth because the remote cameras will always be streaming to the device and could exceed your monthly limit if you have one...or slow your connection..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What you need is a POE switch...run the cameras to the switch then one run from the switch back to the cams...how many cameras will you be running to each switch? With that info I can make a recommendation.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think probably 8 cameras. I spoke again to the supplier and I'm still in the dark. It sounded lime he said yes I can use switches to minimize say a building to building run but unless I misunderstood him, the camera cabling had to originate from the NVR and I had to branch off that run. That would mean that any existing network would be somewhat worthless. This can't be right. Are NVRs and DVRs that unsophisticated.

So, I guess to summarize, I'll lay out one of my scenarios.

I have my modem and router in my family room of my house. I have an indoor camera wired to the router in the same room. I have a CAT5 run from the main router to the other side of my house that goes to a cheap switch and then to two outdoor cameras and an indoor camera. I have a second CAT5 run that runs underground to an outbuilding to a cheap switch and then to two outdoor cameras.

What I'd like to do is buy a NVR and hook it up to my router or another switch if I run out of ports on my router and then just replace the cameras with ones compatible with the NVR. I would either replace the cheap switches with POE switches or just use the power sources that are in place for the existing cameras. I don't want to run cable from every camera back to the NVR.

Thanks for helping me through this.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey,
Your supplier is wrong. Many nvr's only have one network port..so there is no way to home run even if you wanted to. What NVR and cameras are you looking at? I just want to make sure its not a DVR that uses cat5 to cameras, there are some that do that, samsung etc. They are not NVR's.
How many cameras will be attached to each switch?

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If we use the scenario above, not counting a potential additional switch right at the router, I would have one switch in the attic to run 2 outdoor cameras and 1 indoor camera and another switch in my outbuilding to run 2 outdoor cameras. I would then connect the last indoor either directly to the router or to the new switch. I would also connect the NVR either directly to the router or to the new switch.

Thanks again.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Since you are only running two/three cams a switch i would go with one that has 4 poe ports (they usually some ports poe and some not). You dont need gigabit as the cameras themselves are not gigabit and you are running only 2/3 per switch
They zyxel is more expensive but does not have a power brick so its easier to mount someplace.
http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-ES1100-8P-8-Port-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B005GRETPO/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1414197974&sr=1-3&keywords=zyxel+poe
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1414198085&sr=1-1&keywords=poe+switch
If you were running more cams per switch i would recommend this poe switch...its actually poe+(but only very few cameras need that much power). its managed so there are benefits like remote power cycling, VLANS, etc but adds complexity if you are not a network person..
http://www.amazon.com/Fanless-Managed-Desktop-Switch-GS1900-8HP/dp/B00GU1KULM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1414198256&sr=1-1&keywords=zyxel+poe

What NVR and cameras are you looking at?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. Your last question is really my question. Network infrastructures is what I do. I need info on the NVR and cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
At this time, in my opinion, hikvision and dahua are the best bang for the buck. I have installed both, i personally prefer Hikvision. Dahua is more mac friendly if that matters to you.