Troubleshooting LPR

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
I actually had to take down the box on the tree. It got completely full of ants, so that's something to think about

I also was really concerned about lightning. I had it on a BIG tree. If it got struck, it for sure would end up going through the Ethernet too

blazin912

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I actually had to take down the box on the tree. It got completely full of ants, so that's something to think about

I also was really concerned about lightning. I had it on a BIG tree. If it got struck, it for sure would end up going through the Ethernet too
Yikes! Maybe just a better bracket then. Lightning isn't as big a concern up here.

blazin912

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For some reason my lot consists of 95% ants, so maybe it won't affect you
I'm actually at the top of a hill so I'd actually be mounting this on the base of a tree pointing down about 10-15 feet. I could mount it at 8' if someone came poking around, but suspect that will actually make it stick out more. The trees in question are pine with no limbs/needles until 15+ feet. There are some shorter pines near the base where I could hide the camera for sure. Truthfully I just need to prove to myself that B/W mode is going to work at all at this distance with our plates. This daylight B/W showing all white plates makes me think no amount of IR is going to solve this issue.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
That's really strange. I don't think I've ever seen an MA plate come by, so I can't even test. Our TX ones do good

1635946343494.png

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, and now that I think about it, the Cali plates I've seen omit the California text when in B/W mode

Let me see if I can find one

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
Just move to Texas :lol:

You can't be the only one here doing LPR and in MA, there must be a way to get it working

blazin912

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just move to Texas :lol:

You can't be the only one here doing LPR and in MA, there must be a way to get it working
Or maybe one of the few in MA doing LPR with the newer Z12E? Is it possible they changed their B/W filter to a RED from some other color? I don't know, just grasping at straws here. I would think running B/W in the day time would not rely on IR at all, so if I can't make out letters in the day when the B/W filter is on.. I'm pretty much hosed for B/W does that sound right?

blazin912

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Shit..

Proof it can work in MA.. ugh more IR? more direct fov? ugh...

blazin912

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmm.. at first glance it doesn't look like that does anything when camera's in B/W :(

blazin912

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'd go more zoom, and more IR if you can. Possibly get a better angle?
Ok thanks, I'm going to take my plate off and try out B/W in the day and tonight to see if it has to do with angle. I'm at ~120-130 feet. To get a truly better angle I'll need a new home run and what not so I'll definitely need to convince myself it's angle related. I'm guessing it must be based on that thread I found, but I'm just shocked it doesn't work in the daytime either.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
It looks like an MA plate is very reflective but the letters, so they pop out under heavy IR. I think the problem in the day is that its so bright out, the entire plate is reflecting

If you're getting car but zero plate at all, I think you need much more IR. Would an external IR light work?