Trouble powering a new IR illuminator

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Can you show us a picture of the power adapter with the specifications that works with the new IR. Also, can you provide a link to the IR light so we can review the specs.
Yes, I can do that once I return home in an hour or so. Thanks!

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I can do that once I return home in an hour or so. Thanks!
No worries just want to make sure all of us are dealing with the facts as it relates the hardware on hand. If everything you’ve stated is true that the Ubiquiti POE switch is able to power both the camera and (old) IR.

My first guess would have been a lack of power. The standard for POE AF is 15.4 watts at the PSE but with line loss can be 12.95 watts at the PD.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
As an aside I would suggest you login to the switch and see what the power consumption is with the existing hardware on that port. More specifically what the power consumption is for just the camera.

Next add the old IR light and see what it is then. You’ll need to cover the ambient light sensor to turn it on to obtain an accurate reading from the switch.

Once known write it down.

Unplug everything and just plug in the new IR and cover the ambient light sensor to see if the unit even shows voltage and what the power draw is seen at the POE switch.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You probably are using a poe spltter that has output of 12V DC 1A (12W) which is not enough for your camera and 8W illuminator according to your first post. Try using a splitter with output of 12V 2A (24W).

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've done some testing. Camera by itself is 3.27 watts. Camera plus AI4 Tendelux IR is 9.08 watts. The larger illuminator (Tendelux BI8) uses 7.5 watts. So all in with the camera and new IR it would be ~11 watts. The Unifi PoE switch I have provides a maximum of 17 watts per port.

The splitter I'm using has 1 amp output, that very well could be the issue. I just ordered a 12V/2A Active PoE Splitter to test with.

Last edited:

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would measure the voltage as close to the devices as practical with and without whatever loads plugged in. an extra 1:2 coax power splitter would suffice, stick this inline, insert your volt meter's + probe into the end of the spare male plug, and touch the - lead to the side of the barrel. if the voltage drops much below 11V with everything plugged in, your power source has insufficient current.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I took a volt meter out to the location and at the end of the extension cable have just over 12V.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
that was with everything connected, and the IR light forced on ?
No, that was just at the end of the extension cable at the camera location. I may have another splitter which would allow me to check the voltage with everything connected. Let me check and get back to you. Thanks!

Left Coast Geek

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
hmm, that should be within range, barely, unless its noisy. setup the same way, and put the meter in AC Volts, and you shouldn't see more than maybe 0.1V AC

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
hmm, that should be within range, barely, unless its noisy. setup the same way, and put the meter in AC Volts, and you shouldn't see more than maybe 0.1V AC
I appreciate the replies. I'm hoping the 2 amp splitter will be the fix.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe the OP can offer more clarity so we all know what’s in place?!?

- What type of cable is being used to power the camera & IR? More specifically the gauge (AWG) of the cable and its total length.

- What accessories are being used? Active - Passive Splitters, connectors, etc.

- Id like to see the actual IR light wiring and any name plate showing the specs.

Draw out a wiring diagram of the installation from POE switch -> Cable Type & Length -> Connectors / Splitters In Use -> Camera / IR Light.

This shouldn’t be so hard to get up & running to be honest.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
See additional information below. Thanks!

Maybe the OP can offer more clarity so we all know what’s in place?!?

- What type of cable is being used to power the camera & IR? More specifically the gauge (AWG) of the cable and its total length.
Approximately 185' - Cat6 Outdoor, Waterproof, Direct Burial Rated CMX, 23AWG Solid Bare Copper, 550MHz, ETL Listed, Unshielded UTP

- What accessories are being used? Active - Passive Splitters, connectors, etc.
One 12V/1A Active PoE splitter

- Id like to see the actual IR light wiring and any name plate showing the specs.
1634647408356.png
Draw out a wiring diagram of the installation from POE switch -> Cable Type & Length -> Connectors / Splitters In Use -> Camera / IR Light.

This shouldn’t be so hard to get up & running to be honest.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
If you connect just the new IR (No Camera) to this setup does it turn on once you cover the ambient light sensor?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, it does.
What happens if you connect both IR does it turn on? Based on your past reply the old IR is close to the same power consumption very curious to see if both turn on and what the switch indicates as the power draw.

Lastly, if time permits take a 5 foot Ethernet cable and see if it allows the camera / IR combination to operate. That would also rule out voltage drop due to cable length.

As you and others noted it could very well be the active splitter is maxed out.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I just checked and here's what the Unifi switch is reporting for each device.

Old IR = 5.78 watts
New IR = 11.35 watts
Camera = 3.14 watts
Both IRs connected = 16.63 watts