Trouble getting camera to record on hard drive

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to IP cameras, please help if you can.

I recently installed a Dahua IPC-HDW4300C via PoE cabling to my router which is connected to my PC. I installed a new hard drive on my PC dedicated for the video surveillance use. There is no NVR or NAS.

The camera is working well, it sends a snapshot to my gmail account if motion is detected. From "Live View" I can also manually click the snapshot or record button and it records to my hard drive. However, during motion events it does not record anything on the hard drive. All I get is the gmail snapshot. I don't plan on recording 24/7, but I would like to capture video during motion events.

I can't figure out what setting is needed to make this work.

Any ideas?
Thank you

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You either need a VMS installed or a dedicated NVR. Otherwise what is going to record to HDD? It won't do that just from the Web-GUI login.

Reaction score
You either need a VMS installed or a dedicated NVR. Otherwise what is going to record to HDD? It won't do that just from the Web-GUI login.
It sends a snap shot triggered by motion to e-mail perfectly. It records to the HDD perfectly, manually.

I just want it to do these things in combination, that is, record to HDD when sensing motion. There are options to record to NAS or FTP, but I don't know how to make it work in my application.

Maybe it can't be done, I don't know.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It sends a snap shot triggered by motion to e-mail perfectly. It records to the HDD perfectly, manually.

I just want it to do these things in combination, that is, record to HDD when sensing motion. There are options to record to NAS or FTP, but I don't know how to make it work in my application.

Maybe it can't be done, I don't know.
Yes it needs the Dahua VMS open on your computer to do it (unless you setup an FTP). You can only record manually only via the web-GUI.

It's called SmartPSS http://www.dahuasecurity.com/download_2.html

fixingstill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I played with my Dahua camera a bit this weekend. I also have a Hikvision camera, synology DS1815+, and a Windows server 2012R2.
You are not supposed to need Smart PSS to make the Dahua to record videos (motion detect or 24x7) to a NAS (FTP or NFS). I have my Hikvision camera set to record videos to my NFS share on my Windows 2012R2 server. It works perfectly. And I use iVMS to playback and view multiple Hikvision cameras. Dahua cameras is supposed to work the same way.
However, I can't get the Dahua camera to record. After you enter the NAS (they should have called it NFS) server ip and the share, unlikely Hikvision that you can then test and "format" the share, you can't tell if the Dahua camera sees the share. I am deciding to use Hikvision or Dahua. It seems like Hikvision is doing better recording to NFS. BTW, I prefer not to use FTP because I read that you can't recycle the storage. With FTP, recording will stop when share is full unless you use some sort of script to clean up the old files.

Anyone got Dahua camera to record to NFS share??

2016-07-11 11_05_10-Setup.jpg

2016-07-11 11_04_52-Setup.jpg