Triggers Are All Over the Map After Major Version Upgrade

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So my first year support/maintenance subscription ran out out on 5/7 and I wanted to be able to have access to the updates available since my last 'successful' one which was 5.5.8.2 back in June '22. I reluctantly updated to 5.7.4.2, without any glaringly obvious issues as has not been the case with other upgrade attempts --- sending me straight back to 5.5.8.2. Comparatively speaking, this one went quite smoothly and has been running nicely. There's even been a slight, but noticeable, decrease in CPU utilization which was a pleasant surprise.

My recording requirements are fairly modest at my current level of expertise. Basic triggers and some zone stuff is about it. No high end AI cameras, though I am running 20 lower end cameras of different brands and capabilities and have an Amcrest XVR hanging off my BI server that even throws some analog stuff into the mix. No AI support software or configurations are in place, at least not intentionally by anything I've initiated myself. Just a boatload of triggers and zone stuff goin' on, or was.

So I've read about the ONVIF alerts thing and seem to have an entirely differnt issue related to what used to be the trigger settings for all of my cameras. While still set as before the upgrade, the triggers are just not working as before, if at all in most cases. I spent an hour with one affected camera last night trying to re-tweak the settings I had working prior and basically came up empty just scratching my head.

I realize this particular upgrade jump covers a huge amount of territory as versions go. I'm hopeful the solution to this problem is a simple one and just involves an aspect I've not discovered yet in my limited searching so far. KInda hoping someone here may have a magic bullet other than the usual "ain't broke, don't fix it" bullshit. I'm comfortable with this newer version otherwise and intend to stick with it until there's a good reason not to. AI implementation is my next step once I get this issue sorted out.

As usual, TIA for any enlightenment or assistance.

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I didn't mean to excite so many people with this subjec! LOL

So a bunch more dickin around definitely points toward some type of change in the main sensitivity/range of the sliders for object size and minimum contrast settings for plain ol' motion detection..., at least for starters. No zones or specific object detection even involved yet. And it's extreme; almost half of the previous numerical / position settings of the sliders for essentially the same results. Previous was generally in the 375~400 range for contrast and 30-ish for object size. Now in the 200-ish / 12~15 ranges respectively. It also now seems like more of a hard switch 'on' or 'off' compared to what used to be a +/- amount of range slop to accommodate subtle dynamics in a given scene / location.

Anyone else run into this or have any explanation?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One of the many reasons many of us don't live on the bleeding edge and only update when something is added that we want or need.

So thank you for your service of being a beta tester!

Send it a support ticket to BI so they can check into why an update is changing the sensitivity number in BI motion detection.

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I explained why I upgraded in my first post. And more than happy to help. LOL

How responsive is the Support resource for an expired subscription?

Was hoping one of you pioneers would have some insight to the issue itself.

Otherwise, consider it reported for further investigation by anyone wanting to investigate it. I'm outta bullets at this point.

Pogo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FWIW, these are the settings now required to detect a raccoon climbing over the fence in the background of the attached image during nightime hours, but without any Object detection even activated -- which now also seems to be a contributing factor to the motion sensitivity settings issue. Haven't put my finger on that relationship yet.
With enough motion, the chipmunk (if you can make it out) or a bird will trigger the camera durinng daylight hours.

Motion Settings.jpg

Object Detection.jpg

Scene Example.jpg