Tp-link

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been asked to install a couple of cameras for a family friend and although the install of the cameras would not be too difficult, getting a cat5 cable to the router would be.

Is it possible to use TP-LINKS to do this?

The Nvr is in the loft with the router in the hallway.

Would something like this do the trick:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-tl-pa411kit-av500-powerline-adapter-kit-twin-pack-16842033-pdt.html

I've never used TP-LINKS so any advice would be very much appreciated,

Many thanks :)

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thought this would be a popular topic! Lol

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two of my cameras linked up using Netgear Powerline Adapters similar to those in your link.
I'm not having any real problems with them.
Certainly fewer problems than when I tried to use WiFi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RBW

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two of my cameras linked up using Netgear Powerline Adapters similar to those in your link.
I'm not having any real problems with them.
Certainly fewer problems than when I tried to use WiFi.
Cheers mate that was just the confirmation i needed :)

Question: What if the two sockets were on different circuits i.e ground floor radial and 1st floor radial, would they still work?

sorry if this is a dumb question.

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Different brands have different issues.
When you say different circuits... and you mean different circuit breakers, that should not be a problem.
If though, you have circuits coming from two different sub-panels... I'm lead to believe that may not work.
The three I have hooked up (one at the router of course, and one at each of the two cameras) are on three different circuits within the same sub-panel.
I sometimes see a "Yellow" light (indicating not the best connection) on an adapter... but they continue to work fine.

I have a separate sub-panel out in my stand-alone office/garage, but I've never tried that, so I couldn't say.

And, as I used to tell my students (back when I was training)... "There are no dumb questions... just dumb people that ask a lot of questions."
(You should have seen the look on their faces after that comment :) - Just kidding of course!)

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
they may or may not work reliably. depends mostly on the wiring in your house and how many
junctions between them. that siad, i've got a couple cams in the garage running over PLA's
and don;t have any problems there. up-to-down at the front of the house didn;t work so well.

need to just try 'em and find out if it's a good solution for you.
buy them from someplace you can return if not for you...

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have two linking one camera in a garage. Is very troublesome and that's only 2048 max bitrate.

My preference is to fit a Cat6 cable from loft to hallway.

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So Nvr to router is a no no?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry to be negative RBW but powerline is maybe ok for one camera or new builds with people who don't use power points. But I could do with 10x more sockets than I have. Right next to me, I have 20+ sockets!!!!

It will work for sub-stream, it's just less reliable than people think.

Reactions: RBW

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any advice is good advice Del Boy. It is a learning curve for me :)

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Along RBW's comments... They all say they will not work if plugged into a power-strip (what I assume RBW is referring to as power points), or if plugged into a surge suppressor or UPS unit, because those have circuitry that interferes with the Data Signals.

All of mine (3) are plugged directly into the wall outlets.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
well, like i said, it depends on your wiring and what else might be plugged into that circuit (wall warts, etc).
I have them on a leg with very few other devices, and the two PLA's are about 10ft apart on the same
leg (that runs from the house out to garage). I run two 3MP cams at 4Mbps each over it with no issues.
But yeah, they don't work in all situations. YMMV...

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So just for the heck of it... and because this thread peaked my interest... I did an experiment last night.

I have a simple Sensor, that talks to a Receiver using RF (with very little range) then the Receiver connects to my Network using only a wired connection. I bought this to remotely keep track of the temperature in my Spa.
The Spa is in the backyard, away from the house, and quite a distance from any Network connections.
My plan was to run Cat5e out to my secondary garage and place the receiver near the window, much closer to the RF Sensor, but other responsibilities have taken priority, and I never got around to it.

But due to this discussion, and all of us wondering about having Powerline Adapters on separate circuits, I thought I'd give it a try.
First I placed the adapter in my house near the window closest to the Spa... no luck... the Network linked up fine, but there was too much distance between the Sensor and Receiver.
Then I took the adapter out to the secondary garage and plugged it in to the first plug I could find (closest to the house - knowing I am on a separate sub-panel). I did not expect it to work, but I got a green light on the adapter and the Receiver linked up to the Router with no problems. I was surprised. But still the RF was the weak link, and there was no communication between the devices.

Then I took the whole apparatus across the garage and plugged it in to the outlet nearest the Spa and placed the Receiver in the window (now they are only about 30 feet from each other).
Bingo. Even though the Powerline Adapters (the one in this garage, and the one plugged into my Router upstairs) are two buildings and one sub-panel apart... it worked.

The moral to this story is... Try it.

Buy a decent quality Powerline Adapter (as pozzello suggests - somewhere you can return them if it doesn't work) and give it a try. You might be surprised.
Of course I understand that this combination of RF Sensor and Receiver are only sending a few packets every 5-10 minutes, and not streaming camera data 24/7, but from the Powerline Adapter I'm getting a green light from a building away, and I sometimes get yellow performance in the same structure.

Just wanted to share my $.02 again.

Spa Temp.png

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nice to know that works but it's not pumping 20Mbps down the line. Simply flicking a light (on a separate circuit) on and off causes my only Power-line camera to have a spasm. But then I have a remote power monitoring solution on Power-line and it works fine. It didn't work fine but I changed to a more expensive TP-Link and it did.

If you do do it, get the highest bandwidth one you got because 600Mbps is not going to run anywhere close to 300Mbps, let alone 600.
@RBW, different circuits ok but has to be same ring mains. I hate to recommend them but you can get the ones I got from Curry's http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-tl-pa411kit-av500-powerline-adapter-kit-twin-pack-16842033-pdt.html?gclid=CLq3rMqC6cwCFWcq0wod4-UHaA&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~~~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&s_kwcid=AL!3391!3!89321921604!!!g!18283950120!&ef_id=Vz80IwAAASY-frK8:20160520155827:s