TP-Link AV600 Powerline Ethernet Adapter with two cameras?

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been using the powerline adapter above to control a camera in a shed about 50-60 feet from the house. I'd like to put another camera in the shed and am wondering if there is a way to use this one adapter to operate two cameras? I have 120v power in the shed, so poe isn't needed. Would just ;like to operate two cameras off this one adapter. Is this possible?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do not know about that particular adapter, but I have done that with another brand powerline adapter by putting a POE switch at that end of the adapter. I do not see why it wouldn't work with that adapter.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been using the powerline adapter above to control a camera in a shed about 50-60 feet from the house. I'd like to put another camera in the shed and am wondering if there is a way to use this one adapter to operate two cameras? I have 120v power in the shed, so poe isn't needed. Would just ;like to operate two cameras off this one adapter. Is this possible?
Yes, it should not be a problem assuming it's giving you enough bandwith. That powerline adapter "theoretically" can provide 600Mbps for ranges of up to 300 meters. That's under the best conditions but no one ever has perfect conditions so it'll depend upon the amount of noise on your powerline. I use the TP-Link (TL-PA9020P) powerline adapter in my house and it's reporting over 800Mbps at the moment. The best way for you to connect a second IP cam (or even more) is to get a cheap POE unmanaged switch such as THIS ONE. Then plug the the switch (LAN1 or LAN2) into your shed's powerline adapter and your POE cams into any of the ports on the switch. If you need more than two cams at the shed you'll have plenty of room to add more or power some IR lights.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I wasn't thinking switch for some reason. I see how that could work. Have an unused 6 port I'll put to good use.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Should work, you just need a switch / PoE switch in the shed. You may want to put a computer on each end and use some software to measure the bandwidth you can push through there.

Powerline adapters are a shared medium like wifi or token ring the 100mpbs optimistically that's available from the "600mbps" adapters is shared among all your homeplug devices which take turns transmitting. Video signals are sensitive to jitter and as with wifi if you add too many you'll have trouble.

Last edited: