[tool] [tutorial] Free AI Person Detection for Blue Iris

ZAPme

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two GPU Deepstack instances running on ports 83 and 84. Seems to work fine.
What is your processing time per pic? And pic size?
I did follow the suggestion to resize the image to max available (1280x1024 from the substream) and this did improve the % recognition significantly (at least 30% on avg). I am running 5 CPU docker instances now at about 350ms/pic.
Recording substream fulltime, mainstream triggered.

balucanb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Edit- Feel free to read for your own enjoyment- I figured out what it was- none of the below BTW. I had unchecked "Merge Annotations into images" in the ACTIONS area. DUH. Leaving this here so if anyone else has a similar issue they can fix it instead of looking silly like me. :)

Looking for some assistance on writing triggers correctly (AI-Tool, Actions, Trigger and cancel) I was running this trigger, had nothing in the cancel block -
{admin}&pw={xxx}

Ran this same one for all cameras using both a Docker set up and a Windows set up- it could be all jacked up , no clue since I do not claim to really understand how to write them correctly, anyway they seemed to work fine- Telegram was getting alerts, there would be a box around the detected item, the camera name, item and % would be on the bottom of the picture.

Yesterday I changed all the triggers and added a cancel trigger they look like this-
URL:port/admin?trigger&camera=name of camera&user=xx&pw=xxx
URL:port/admin?trigger&camera=name of camera&user=xx&pw=xxx&flagalert=1&memo={Detection}

Cancel trigger-
URL:port/admin?camera=name of camera&user=xx&pw=xxx&flagalert=0

Unrelated but I also updated my camera settings in BI, I immediately noticed a giant increase in activity in AI-Processing images so my assumption is my original trigger was not working as it is should even though it was working-no clue.

So there is the background. Here is the issue-

I am still getting alerts sent to telegram from all 9 cameras however 2 of my 3 Reolink cameras (E1 pro & RLC 511W) are not showing the box around the detected item and the text and % on the bottom of that square? I re checked my triggers and they are all the same as all the other cameras and I do not see anything in BI that would cause this either. Any clue what is going on? TIA.

Last edited:

Bosty

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Need some help here. I'm trying to install Docker Desktop for Windows (v3.0.0). I install it and get a popup from Dockers:

I jump into PowerShell and get this error:

I try to manually start WSL 2 and get this error:

I am on Win 10 Home v2004 build 19041.572. Anyone come across this error? Or am I out of luck using this AI method?

Vettester

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry if this is documented somewhere... How do you update the VorlonCD AI Tools to latest version? I downloaded the latest update on Github, but what do i not overwrite to keep all settings saved?
Just let it overwrite all the files. Your settings will not be affected.

balucanb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Need some help here. I'm trying to install Docker Desktop for Windows (v3.0.0). I install it and get a popup from Dockers:

I jump into PowerShell and get this error:

I try to manually start WSL 2 and get this error:

I am on Win 10 Home v2004 build 19041.572. Anyone come across this error? Or am I out of luck using this AI method?
You need to upgrade to PRO can't do it on home edition is my understanding. Just Google it it'll break it down

Bosty

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need to upgrade to PRO can't do it on home edition is my understanding. Just Google it it'll break it down
They do have a win 10 Home version but for some reason I can't get WSL 2 to install.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a parked car in my driveway, and blue iris set to take a snapshot every 4 seconds. Should the car be triggering an alert every time it analyzes an image?
Or I have blue iris set to only take snapshots when motion is detected. the falling snow is triggering the snapshots, then it sees a car and throws an alert.

How can I make it only alert when a car that is in motion is in the scene?

1609375785508.png

Last edited:

Nierka

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a parked car in my driveway, and blue iris set to take a snapshot every 4 seconds. Should the car be triggering an alert every time it analyzes an image?
Or I have blue iris set to only take snapshots when motion is detected. the falling snow is triggering the snapshots, then it sees a car and throws an alert.

How can I make it only alert when a car that is in motion is in the scene?

View attachment 78178
Go to BlueIris alerts and uncheck all motion zones. Make sure that only external is checked (Ai Tools/Deppstack is external).

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ya, only external is checked.

The camera is seeing motion (snow falling), it's triggering a snapshot to be taken and put into the folder, deepstack is saying there is a car in the picture, and it's telling BI to record. The car isn't moving though.

Nierka

n3wb
Reaction score
Ya, only external is checked.

The camera is seeing motion (snow falling), it's triggering a snapshot to be taken and put into the folder, deepstack is saying there is a car in the picture, and it's telling BI to record. The car isn't moving though.
Deepstack knows nothing about the movement, it looks only at still pictures. It's like a filter. If you record the street where cars are parked then my sugjestion unselect "car" in AI Tools. Otherwise, you will get alerts each time deepstack sees a car.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
i want to know when cars pull into my driveway and drive down my road though lol. Thought this was going to solve all my false alert problems :(

Nierka

n3wb
Reaction score
i want to know when cars pull into my driveway and drive down my road though lol. Thought this was going to solve all my false alert problems :(
There is an option in AI Tool dynamic masking but I don't know how it works, never tried. Probably it can create "temporary" a mask after it sees a car in the same location for several minutes. Masked area won't trigger alert

Nierka

n3wb
Reaction score
No. BI after motion saves the picture in folder and AI Tool looks in this folder for a new pics, when AI Tool finds a new pic in this folder it sends it to Deepstact to analyze. BlueIris doesn't talk to AI/Deppstack.

austwhite

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I might have missed this somewhere, but has there been a Deepstack release for Windows that can either run as a service or auto-start on boot?
I've tried googling and not found anything on this.
I am trying to move away from running it in a virtual machine and running everything natively in Windows.

austwhite

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That would be nice
Could be nice coming from AITools or AITool sending the co-ordinates via MQTT to another program. I'd want to know the movement of a detected person as an example, rather than just Blue Iris stating random movement co-ordinates. Blue Iris natively can't tell the difference between a plastic bag blowing across or a human. Blue Iris just provides a snapshot of an image. Deepstack does the hard work and AItool is an interface that uses Deepstacks data.

Edit: I do realise AITool is a little more than that. I am just putting it simply :)

austwhite

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On to your description of my dream scenario, why would I even need to clone the camera in that instance? sorry if this is a dumb question, but If I'm recording 4k clips when a 4k jpeg is identified as relevant by AI Tool, what would I need the low res stream for?
Personally, I don't actually find the 24/7 low-res recording of much use and I am moving away from it.
You can run all this without cloning cameras and on one camera using version 1.67 or the latest pre-release from VorlonCD. Without a clone, you still save all the motion, but it will only flag recordings with detected objects/persons. If you are okay with this and have the storage space, there is a description how to do it on the first page of this thread using AITool 1.67 or higher. It's pretty simple. You just setup motion recording as normal in Blue Iris, but make it quite sensitive. Then just add the saving JPEG every few seconds to the same camera you record with so AITool has something to send to Deepstack so recordings can be flagged.

As I only want to record the events specifically flagged by AItools/Deepstack and not every motion event, I will still use a cloned camera setup and hide the clones.
The advantage of actual cloned camera over Rob's (The Hookup) setup. The cloned camera uses no extra bandwidth or CPU time. As long as the clone has identical streams to the main camera it is cloned from, it will use no extra resources.
The low res stream Rob uses doesn't use much in resource, but it all adds up if you have several camera's and the low-res JPEGs can sometimes be less accurate, especially if you have a camera observing a wide area, say a camera that is up on the second floor looking out over a yard.

Reaction score
I have spent the last 2 hours trying to catch up on this thread. I had been running 1.67 but recently found VoloranCD 2.0. I installed it and started having issues with Deepstack (running in Docker). I was able to fix those issues.

My question, I saw a couple posts that recommended using Deepstack Windows (in my case CPU). Is the Windows better than Docker? I did try installing Windows but could kept getting errors that I could not figure out how to fix. I tried finding install information on this thread but at over 147 pages and just short of 3,000 posts, that seems nearly impossible. I saw posts saying to use @Chris Dodge 's instructions but could never find them, even reaching all of his posts (which are over 50).

Should I worry about using Deepstack Windows or just keep using Docker? (I'm running Windows on a Dell PoweEdge Server so plenty of power).
If yes, can anyone help me with the install?
Can we get some important posts pinned somewhere or something so people can find the instructional posts easier?