Too old for Facebook. Too young for Life Alert.

DewMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello all. I stumbled across this forum googling for answers. I look forward to learning from all of you and perhaps someday will be able to be of help to someone else.

I'm a 55yr old IT geek who decided to take his personal security to the next level with POE cameras for my home.

Right or wrong I purchased a Lorex NR916X with 8TB of drive space back in late 2018. The NVR was bundled with 8 4k POE cams that consist of 4x Bullets (LNB8973) and 4 domes with audio (LNE8974A}.

After passing initial bench testing the system sat in a box till this year due to life happens, I've so far gotten the first two cams mounted and the NVR configured and running. I have successfully gotten the streaming working on my PCs, Android tablets & android smartphone and I'm still working on learning the ins and out of CCTV care and feeding.

My current project is getting the NVR streamed to my Sony smart TV. What fun that is! You'd think getting a yet another streaming video feed to a smart TV wouldn't be that difficult in 2020.

Next up is getting more cams mounted and wired as well but that probably has to wait until this Florida summer heat lets up a bit before I work in the attic again. I gave up doing belly crawls through attics in the middle of Florida summers, as a cable installer/service tech, 25 yrs ago.

I look forward to hanging out with y'all.

If you're still reading this I thank you for your patience and indulgence.

DewMan

P.S. Yes I drink entirely too much Diet Mountain Dew hence the name. And yes, I know it's not good for me but it's the only vice I have left after giving up smoking many years ago.

Reaction score
I drink entirely too much Diet Mountain Dew
That's not possible! Wait...diet? Oh, OK, never mind. Bummer. My favorite breakfast on the way to the range was a Mountain Dew and a Mrs. Baird's Apple Pie. I always felt I shot better after those breakfasts, especially in competitions.

My very first Dew was when I was about 9 and took my bike to the drug store and bought a tall MD in a green bottle for 10 cents (do you know there is no cents key on keyboards now? Just realized it). It had a graphic of a hillbilly kicking his heels on the side. That was the best soft drink I ever had. Did you ever try the MD Through Back? That was good.

Welcome to the forum. Most folks here tend to buy International versions of either Dahua or Hikvision. There are also many users of Blue Iris instead of an NVR. Make sure you read the Cliff Notes, especially the part about not getting hacked and keeping your cameras off the internet.

DewMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's not possible! Wait...diet? Oh, OK, never mind. Bummer. My favorite breakfast on the way to the range was a Mountain Dew and a Mrs. Baird's Apple Pie. I always felt I shot better after those breakfasts, especially in competitions.

My very first Dew was when I was about 9 and took my bike to the drug store and bought a tall MD in a green bottle for 10 cents (do you know there is no cents key on keyboards now? Just realized it). It had a graphic of a hillbilly kicking his heels on the side. That was the best soft drink I ever had. Did you ever try the MD Through Back? That was good.
I meant to say many people feel that I drink too much Dew. Personally I think it's just enough :lol:

I started on leaded Dew as a kid and miss the green bottles... tasted much better than cans or plastic, but decided I really didn't need that many empty calories per day. So when Diet Dew came out I jumped on the band wagon. After a few days I got used to it's slightly different taste. and haven't looked back as much as I'd love to.

FYI: alt-0162 will make the ¢ sign for you.

What type of shooting do you do? I don't get out to the range near as often as I'd like to.

Reaction score
What type of shooting do you do?
Used to compete in IDPA (Defensive Pistol). Even shot the 2nd Venezuelan Nationals in Barquisimeto back in 2004. Did 3-gun competitions for a while. Now it is mostly long range rifle and some 22lr rifle and pistol. I keep telling myself I need to get back into IDPA, but life gets in the way. I am a Range Safety Officer (unpaid) at the club I belong to here in the Houston area.

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Used to compete in IDPA (Defensive Pistol). Even shot the 2nd Venezuelan Nationals in Barquisimeto back in 2004. Did 3-gun competitions for a while. Now it is mostly long range rifle and some 22lr rifle and pistol. I keep telling myself I need to get back into IDPA, but life gets in the way. I am a Range Safety Officer (unpaid) at the club I belong to here in the Houston area.
Then I bet you've heard of Gabby Franco. She and I were on a USPSA team together back in 2018 shooting the "Cowtown Classic". She's a blast.
Shot a lot of IDPA myself and an SO too. Found the SO duties to be very distracting though if you are really trying to advance. Our group was shooting up to 12 times per month for a while there - that's a lot of ammo but a whole lot of fun.
They had me be a Match Director too and as much fun as that is, it flat wore me out creating and setting up stages until the wife got some medical issues, so I've taken a break for almost a year now.
Anyway, once you mentioned Venezuela, I had to let you know that Gabby is still shooting up here all over the DFW area. :thumb:

Reaction score
Then I bet you've heard of Gabby Franco
Yes I have heard of her, but never met. There were several Venezuelan female shooters at that match. I looked though my photos and did not see her.

Before I moved to Nigeria in 2006, I was the president of one of the IDPA clubs in Houston and the Match Director of a second club. At that time I shot about 500 rounds a week, all reloads. That was club matches on Monday and Wednesday nights and then Saturdays. Then on Sunday we had practice/training. I came back from Nigeria at the end of 2011 and never really picked up IDPA much after. Almost all of the folks I shot with were no longer shooting. The club I was president of died while I was in Nigeria.

Back in those days I had shot several IDPA and GSSF matches in the Dallas area. Never really got into IPSC much. Did shoot a few matches in Pearland.

Settys

n3wb
Reaction score
Man, you're so cool! Due to your skills, you can even moderate an online business. I think it is a great idea, as we're working from home now, and you're really good at it. If you take it into consideration, just write me a message. I'm trying to develop my business on social media, and I need such people like you for promoting it. It's not a big deal. I've bought several accounts on Instagram and Facebook Buy Social Media Accounts| Cheap Accounts in Bulk⚡⚡⚡ | Accfarm. With their help I'm trying to enhance my page's popularity. So, you just have to write comments and to repost some of our posts. What do you think about it?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Man, you're so cool!
This sounds sarcastic.

BTW, I grew up in Roslindale. Back in 2004 I shot the MA State IDPA match in New Bedford. Had some 'attitude issues' from the Logan Continental check-in staff when I declared I was traveling with a firearm. Then more attitude from the TSA agent that had to fill out the forms and seal the bag. I think they woke him up from his nap to deal with me.

Reaction score
With more than a billion users facebook is growing day by day. Even old people find facebook as a great opportunity to get in touch with their loved ones and to get instant news. Old people see facebook as a reliable way to keep in touch with friends and family who don't call or move from one social media app to another post frequently, and these posts are effortless. Adults do have a longer attention span, and they don’t have so much time to impress the desires of those who shouldn’t be impressed.

DewMan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With more than a billion users facebook is growing day by day. Even old people find facebook as a great opportunity to get in touch with their loved ones and to get instant news. Old people see facebook as a reliable way to keep in touch with friends and family who don't call or move from one social media app to another post frequently, and these posts are effortless. Adults do have a longer attention span, and they don’t have so much time to impress the desires of those who shouldn’t be impressed.
I understand that it is a wonderful thing for many people for the reasons you list.. I just personally don't have a need for it.

I don't have any status I feel the need share. I don't care to see what my cousin had for lunch yesterday. I don't feel the need to keep up with all the "drama" people feel the need to post. I don't care if I'm "Liked" or not. I'm mature enough that I don't need anyone else's validation to feel good about myself.

The people I care about I keep up with via email, Zoom/Skype or talking to them either in person or shocking calling them on the phone.

To each their own. You do you, and I'll keep doing me. :)

P.S. I have enough apps/devices tracking my actions already so I don't need yet another thing to keep tabs on me.