Timeline Playback next and previous alert issue

PlusPower

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There is an issue in timeline playback that I already observe for a long time.
There were always other problems with higher priority so I never took the time to report this.

Whenever I want to play back from TimelineView I can click or doubleclick at any position from LiveView.
The red cursor goes to that positon then I can start playback and it always starts correctly.

The problem shows up when I want to jump "go to next alert" or "go to previous alert".
If I browse though the footage of the last 48 hours everything works as expected.

But if I go back to older material the jumps seem to go to arbitary positions.
The jumps are usually very long (e.g. 20 hours) but not at regular intervals.
Usually there is no alert and sometimes not even a recording at these jump destinations.
When jumping back and forth I always seem to end up at the same set of arbitary positions.

Looking at the timeline I can see that the small red alert triangles are only present during the last 48 hours.
When I try to jump forward from a time anywhere near the first red triangle I always end up exactly at the first marked alert position.

Maybe I just don't understand how it works but it seems very strange to me.
All the clips are there and ready to be played back but I don't seem to be able and jump to the older alert positions.

Could anyone give me a hint?

TimelineView.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@PlusPower You are likely deleting your alerts after 2 days. The system cant jump to a previous alert because you have deleted it.
Check your settings in the clips and archiving tab.

PlusPower

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You are right fenderman.

Are there any negative sideeffects to removing the checkmark from this box?

Limit clip age.png

PlusPower

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
One more question for my understanding:

What exactly does Blue Iris regard as an "alert"?

Is it just a timestamp in the database notifying that something happened at this point in time,
does ist hold additional information e.g. which camera's motion detect or digital input triggered the alert,
does it also include the thumbnail image,
or does it also include the actual video clip

Depending on this I could decide how many of them I want to keep without getting into trouble with harddisk space.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
One more question for my understanding:

What exactly does Blue Iris regard as an "alert"?

Is it just a timestamp in the database notifying that something happened at this point in time,
does ist hold additional information e.g. which camera's motion detect or digital input triggered the alert,
does it also include the thumbnail image,
or does it also include the actual video clip

Depending on this I could decide how many of them I want to keep without getting into trouble with harddisk space.
Alerts use very little hard drive space. I wouldnt worry about it. From the help file.
"The option to Create Alert images when triggered will save a low-resolution JPEG snapshot to the database whenever the camera is triggered. If a video is open for recording at that time, an offset into the file is also noted so that when this image is later viewed, it ill take you directly to the point of interest in the video. These are the images that will appear in the mobile client Alerts list. If you further select the option to Store Alerts as hi-res files, a full-resolution file is saved to the Alerts folder."

PlusPower

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Even though I have removed the checkmark from the box my system still saves exactly 2 days of alerts.
What else may cause this behaviour?

2015-12-06 09_15_16-Blue Iris Options.png

2015-12-06 09_16_19-Blue Iris.png