Tigersecu DVR settings

nxindy

n3wb
Reaction score
I know it's junk. Belongs to a friend and the hard drive has failed. Shows in software with error and won't format. We're upgrading in a few months to a new system. I bought a cheapo hard drive just to get through till then. Is the DVR going to lose any of the existing settings because of the swap? Just checking. Assuming the existing HDD is dead, I guess it wouldn't be holding any settings, but I'm asking anyway. I've swapped before in my systems with multiple drives, but not one with a single drive. It's a Tigersecu 2mp DVR around 5 or 6 years old. Worst cams I've ever seen. Most of them are mostly purple cast. Terrible. Everything else is working live, just won't record.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I know it's junk. Belongs to a friend and the hard drive has failed. Shows in software with error and won't format. We're upgrading in a few months to a new system. I bought a cheapo hard drive just to get through till then. Is the DVR going to lose any of the existing settings because of the swap? Just checking. Assuming the existing HDD is dead, I guess it wouldn't be holding any settings, but I'm asking anyway. I've swapped before in my systems with multiple drives, but not one with a single drive. It's a Tigersecu 2mp DVR around 5 or 6 years old. Worst cams I've ever seen. Most of them are mostly purple cast. Terrible. Everything else is working live, just won't record.
Should not effect your settings, I would make sure your power supply is putting out whats the specs are, The cheaper units have internal power issues and cannot power the drive proper and takes em out.

nxindy

n3wb
Reaction score
Should not effect your settings, I would make sure your power supply is putting out whats the specs are, The cheaper units have internal power issues and cannot power the drive proper and takes em out.
Thanks Chris. Any clue why 9 ouf the 12 cams would have that purple cast? I've seen things that like on 1 or 2 cams before, but so many on this system at the same time. I saw they don't have a battery back/surge protector. Was wondering if a surge got to everything or what? But it seems like they just wouldn't work at all. Or is it just $30 analog cams pooping out.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks Chris. Any clue why 9 ouf the 12 cams would have that purple cast? I've seen things that like on 1 or 2 cams before, but so many on this system at the same time. I saw they don't have a battery back/surge protector. Was wondering if a surge got to everything or what? But it seems like they just wouldn't work at all. Or is it just $30 analog cams pooping out.
Analog cams? where are they pulling power from? Not sure what model you have but the Tigersecu generally must have a separate power unit for the analog cams, could be it took a hit, won't know until you put a meter on it. As @looney2ns said, usually due to a bad or stuck IR filter. Disconnect the power supply from the analog cams and re set it and see what happens.

nxindy

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay. Looks like it comes with one laptop type 12V 3A powerblock with a splitter for the DVR and one side goes to the multi-plugs for the cameras. Seems like a lot of work for one small power source. Guess I'll check if it's sending 12v to everything. But it must be at least on the DVR side. Maybe the installer put in a second one just for the cams. Your saying that the cams will still work if they are getting less than 12v, just not correctly? I'll check. Hate to get in the weeds too far on an old system that's not mine. He's committed to replacing it with a 4K IP setup end of November anyway. I've already spent more time than I wanted on this thing. When I first visited they wanted phone access and the old firmware wasn't allowing P2P, wasn't even on the menu. So a fifteen minute call turned into 3 hours. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Attachments

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Okay. Looks like it comes with one laptop type 12V 3A powerblock with a splitter for the DVR and one side goes to the multi-plugs for the cameras. Seems like a lot of work for one small power source. Guess I'll check if it's sending 12v to everything. But it must be at least on the DVR side. Maybe the installer put in a second one just for the cams. Your saying that the cams will still work if they are getting less than 12v, just not correctly? I'll check. Hate to get in the weeds too far on an old system that's not mine. He's committed to replacing it with a 4K IP setup end of November anyway. I've already spent more time than I wanted on this thing. When I first visited they wanted phone access and the old firmware wasn't allowing P2P, wasn't even on the menu. So a fifteen minute call turned into 3 hours. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Those do look crappy, My suggestion was to power it down, DVR and cams, If the filters were stuck they might reset when rebooted, if you have Improper voltages turning out of the power brick, could definitely effect the cams. Looks like that power brick powers everything so best test it before you put the new HD In it.

nxindy

n3wb
Reaction score
Those do look crappy, My suggestion was to power it down, DVR and cams, If the filters were stuck they might reset when rebooted, if you have Improper voltages turning out of the power brick, could definitely effect the cams. Looks like that power brick powers everything so best test it before you put the new HD In it.
Yeah so sumpin's funny here. The factory brick is 12v 3A. They're running 11 cams and the DVR off that. Can't be right. The aftermarket versions show 12v 5A and a 9 channel splitter ONLY, no 16 or 17 channels anywhere. So there's either two of them, or someone rigged it up to do 12 channels including the DVR which would be highly suspect. I couldn't find a power switch on the thing and had to pull the DC plug to reboot after the firmware upgrade. But I guess that didn't power down the cams did it? So I can get the 5A and 9 splitter tomorrow from AMZ for $25 and put it on 9 cams and the DVR and last two cams on the old one. At least 9 cams will have sufficient power. The DVR doesn't seem to be affected (well unless that's why the hard drive don't work?) and there may be enough juice for that in the old one? Who knows. If I'm not careful, and this all works, you smart alecs could end up costing me 1200 bucks cash in November, and I need that. If I wasn't so conscientious about my clients security, I would just leave it. But they have no Recording, even if it does look like some 2000's crime drama security capture. "Local Police want to know... Have you seen this blurry guy in a purple hoodie, ethnicity indeterminate?"