Thoughts on this install Eero+PoeSwitch+UPS

m3tpe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 5 dahua cameras installed in my garage.
Currently the data is being routed from my garage to my room.
It's connected through BV-Tech 9 Port PoE Switch, which feeds the data through a TP-Link AV2000 Powerline Adapter. But I was thinking, when running this setup and there's a power outage, I would be out of luck and the cameras would stop working.

Would it be a wise idea to switch things around? I already have 3x Eero setup in the house which get's strong signal at every corner of the house. I'm thinking about swapping out the TPLink Powerline for an additional Eero. Plug the switch to the eero. Put everything on a Cyberpower UPS Surge Protector that had a battery which can temporarily keep the power running if there's a blackout. My computer and wifi device in the room will have another UPS. This would keep the router still connected and sending data.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi m3tpe,

Yes, the Powerline Adapter units get power from the AC outlet, and thus if they lose power your connection will also go down on that line.

If you have cameras which take microSD cards, you can install those for "edge storage" when they get disconnected from the NVR.

m3tpe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi m3tpe,

Yes, the Powerline Adapter units get power from the AC outlet, and thus if they lose power your connection will also go down on that line.

If you have cameras which take microSD cards, you can install those for "edge storage" when they get disconnected from the NVR.
which is why i put the post above.. :facepalm:
thanks, but didn't really answer my question

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Great minds think alike!

I have line interactive UPS’s on my computers and internet backbone devices. This type always runs off battery (IIRC), so the voltage is constant even during service interruptions.

It works great for “Brown-outs” during the summer, which can really throw some things out of wack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m3tpe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great minds think alike!

I have line interactive UPS’s on my computers and internet backbone devices. This type always runs off battery (IIRC), so the voltage is constant even during service interruptions.

It works great for “Brown-outs” during the summer, which can really throw some things out of wack.

Do you have IP Cams on the UPS to keep the power running through the POE Switch?
Would my idea of keeping power and data transfer through wifi work on a UPS battery?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have PoE cams, and the PoE switch that powers them is on a UPS, so the cameras stay on for as long as the battery lasts.

I also have my modem, router, Wi-Fi access points and all switches on UPS’s, so as long as the internet comes from the cable company, it works.

m3tpe

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have PoE cams, and the PoE switch that powers them is on a UPS, so the cameras stay on for as long as the battery lasts.

I also have my modem, router, Wi-Fi access points and all switches on UPS’s, so as long as the internet comes from the cable company, it works.

thanks.. and since EERO connections have been pretty reliable for the 4 months I've been using it, it may be a good consideration. looking to hear more details. if people have their switch on a wifi connection, please let me know.