Thoughts on NVR, Blue Iris, and a loud computer

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok so I just built a "supersystem". A Threadripper 1950x with 64GB of RAM and a 2TB 960 Pro SSD.

It's my all-purpose system that I knew would run Blue Iris easily in the background. My 7 year old i7 ran it fine, with only two cameras, motion detection (triggered recording only).

Well on my new PC blue iris, whether run as a service or not, whether disabling all recording or not.. Likes to cycle my CPU enough that my fans follow. Every 25 sec, spinning higher then pulling back. If I close blue iris, my PC is essentially silent.

I'm a bit confused as to why, again after disabling all recording... (And before that removing the hot spot detection and shadows)... That it would be pushing a CPU core enough to affect Tdie temperatures by 6+ degrees, and cause my fans to spin up... But alas that is what is happening.

So my first question is - I've seen a thread on optimizing BI for better CPU usage, and while I haven't done all those steps... (Because the problem exists even if recording is disabled basically in my mind negating most if not all of the recommendations)

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this before I move to an NVR?

Appreciate any insight you care to share.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok so I just built a "supersystem". A Threadripper 1950x with 64GB of RAM and a 2TB 960 Pro SSD.

It's my all-purpose system that I knew would run Blue Iris easily in the background. My 7 year old i7 ran it fine, with only two cameras, motion detection (triggered recording only).

Well on my new PC blue iris, whether run as a service or not, whether disabling all recording or not.. Likes to cycle my CPU enough that my fans follow. Every 25 sec, spinning higher then pulling back. If I close blue iris, my PC is essentially silent.

I'm a bit confused as to why, again after disabling all recording... (And before that removing the hot spot detection and shadows)... That it would be pushing a CPU core enough to affect Tdie temperatures by 6+ degrees, and cause my fans to spin up... But alas that is what is happening.

So my first question is - I've seen a thread on optimizing BI for better CPU usage, and while I haven't done all those steps... (Because the problem exists even if recording is disabled basically in my mind negating most if not all of the recommendations)

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this before I move to an NVR?

Appreciate any insight you care to share.
1) amd is a poor choice for blue iris, this is been noted many times on this forum.
2) you should dedicate a pc to blue iris...running it in the background of your general use pc is asking for issues.
3) you dont mention your load, how many cameras, fps, resolution. Have you enabled direct to disk recording? Are you running the DEMO or licensed version?
4)you will be sorely disappointed with a standalone NVR coming from blue iris...you can likely run your load on a 100-300 dollar intel based pc.

JackBauer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you.

1) Was not aware of the BI/AMD complexities. Too late now :)
2) I may end up doing that.
3) Only 2 cameras, one 3MP and one 4MP. Running licensed version, will enable direct to disk...
4) I was thinking of buying a NUC and throwing it in another room. The only issue though is I guess I'd have to use remote desktop to get the BI experience. Shame there isn't a client/server config for BI?

Update: Just enabled direct-to-disk. (Only triggered right now)

Problem continues.

It's a shame. My system can run Prime 95 at 62 max Tdie (stock), with the CPU package at 178w (just under the rated 180w) So my CPU cooler, which is rated at 500 TDP... Is doing a good job.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you.

1) Was not aware of the BI/AMD complexities. Too late now :)
2) I may end up doing that.
3) Only 2 cameras, one 3MP and one 4MP. Running licensed version, will enable direct to disk...
4) I was thinking of buying a NUC and throwing it in another room. The only issue though is I guess I'd have to use remote desktop to get the BI experience. Shame there isn't a client/server config for BI?

Update: Just enabled direct-to-disk. (Only triggered right now)

Problem continues.

It's a shame. My system can run Prime 95 at 62 max Tdie (stock), with the CPU package at 178w (just under the rated 180w) So my CPU cooler, which is rated at 500 TDP... Is doing a good job.
You have something else going on...that system should be able to run those cams with only a few percent load....what is the load on your cpu?
regardless, you can easily run you load on a 100 dollar i5-3570 based hp elitedesk SFF (not ultraslim) this way you can put a full size hard drive in it...NUC is an overpriced silly solution...
You can review video with the UI3 webclient....the only thing it cant to on that end is multi-camera synchronous playback - you need the server for that...other than that you should not need to log into the server on a regular basis...a client has been promised long ago but im guessing it will come in V5...