This "chip" shortage is frustrating

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
The auto industry uses old technology chips with old outdated software. They are using old tech to save money, it reduces development time and cost.

The same thing will happen to all companies that do not bring chip development and production in house. If you depend on the Chinese Communist party you are simple an IDIOT.

What till the real electric battery shortage happens.
In reality Ford and GM are old outdated companies that will go out of business as the world shifts to Electric, unless the US government bails them out again. Just like in the computer business, big companies are dying or have died, IBM, digital equipment company (DEC), Compaq.
Not sure about in house for chips but maybe the boards. The world needs to stop relying on China for manufacture. The US has silicon valley and it's can't make it's own domestic low tech chips? They shouldn't be hard to manufacture. If the US isn't going to export the high tech ones, they need to start maufacturing the others as well. Lets face it you'd have a great market as all of the EU and the rest of the world are in the same boat too. Could be a real money spinner for exports.

Sad to say it as Andy is Chinese and don't want to see him unable to supply us or without a job, but the West needs to move manufacture out of China whilst ever the CCP has hostile expansionist ambitions. The West is funding the CCP's arms race and a war that will affect both the US and it's own people if it goes hot.

Remember the days were people bought cars every 10-20 years?
Remember the days were people bought a computer every 3-10 years?
Why does everyone needs a new printer, new car, new computer ........................... in 2021?

You should ask your lovely US companies why they produce so much crap which is unrepairable if its broken and why its broken after 2 years.
I hope they will lose money, a lot of money.
My current pc is over 10 years old. Most companies over here keep them until they are unrepairable with the exception of CAD, movie studios etc where cutting edge is essential. I work for a large retail company and our till pc's are still running something like Win 95. When they go wrong, they replace the parts. We had one where the mobo had worn out. Somehow they had a new mobo for it (I presume the repair company buys up lots of old stock before they obsolete). I used to work for a large corpoate office company as well, one of the top ones in the country. They were the same. Their IT dept would come down take your pc away and put parts in it and then return it after repair if it went wrong. Can't remember exactly but I think they were / still are running Compaq in in lay flat desktop cases! When was the last time you saw a Compaq q desktop for sale? That's part of the reason 2nd hand pcs / refurbs are so expensive over here. Companies usually only replace them when they're totally slow or dead. So good 2nd hand almost don't exist. THey're like hens teeth when they come up as refurbs.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure about in house for chips but maybe the boards. The world needs to stop relying on China for manufacture. The US has silicon valley and it's can't make it's own domestic low tech chips
Sure.. US/Europe can produce their own chips/devices.. but who wants to pay for it ? If one chip from China costs $1 , it would cost $50-100 from US/Europe..

China has many advantages... no Greta bullshit, no worker protection, no high income , ....... its just a bunch of robots producing everything for cheap.

No one want to do their job.. just look at US at the moment. Workers are not returning because they dont want to do shitty jobs. You are located in UK? Where are all your truck drivers ? why no one wants to do this job? And you tell me that it would be easy to find someone to do Chinas job ? LOOOL

Laundry

n3wb
Reaction score
I needed a couple of more Ubiquti switches, no store has them in stock in my vicinity, will need to stick with TP-Link and Zyxel for now :(
Humm, I just purchased a 24port Poe gen 2 switch last week from their website.. IMG_20210926_005503_547.jpg

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Sure.. US/Europe can produce their own chips/devices.. but who wants to pay for it ? If one chip from China costs $1 , it would cost $50-100 from US/Europe..

China has many advantages... no Greta bullshit, no worker protection, no high income , ....... its just a bunch of robots producing everything for cheap.

No one want to do their job.. just look at US at the moment. Workers are not returning because they dont want to do shitty jobs. You are located in UK? Where are all your truck drivers ? why no one wants to do this job? And you tell me that it would be easy to find someone to do Chinas job ? LOOOL
That’s funny you mentioned about the trucks as I was reading about this four days ago. Gas is in very short supply because truck drivers can’t be found?!?

Winter is coming so what about heating oil etc??

While I agree moving production to NA is a tall ask. But where it makes sense and won’t impact prices it’s worth it to reduce a single source supplier.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
That’s funny you mentioned about the trucks as I was reading about this four days ago. Gas is in very short supply because truck drivers can’t be found?!?

Winter is coming so what about heating oil etc??

While I agree moving production to NA is a tall ask. But where it makes sense and won’t impact prices it’s worth it to reduce a single source supplier.
There are many problems. But Europe media only is talking shit like CNN. They are still angry that UK left EU, so everything is related to brexit in Europe media...

this is an easy explanation what is going on in UK with energy... and YES. its highly related to greta bullshit.
but truck drivers... yes this is another problem ;)
if biden continue, this will be happen in US too...

EU doing best to make everything as hard as possible for Uk... border control is a pain in the ass

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
There are many problems. But Europe media only is talking shit like CNN. They are still angry that UK left EU, so everything is related to brexit in Europe media...

this is an easy explanation what is going on in UK with energy... and YES. its highly related to greta bullshit.

EU doing best to make everything as hard as possible for Uk... border control is a pain in the ass
That was a most excellent video presentation regarding the energy issues.

Winter is coming - You poor bastards!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score

Use robots in the US. Musk does. No reason chips should be so much more expensive if robots are used. There's been a lot of talk of swicthing to production to India. However, personally I don't agree with using he 3rd world, not for moral reasons but because it can create nightmares just as it did with the CCP. Imagine if India went high tech over night with the growth of China. Pakistan, would probably enter more of a pact with Russia, and suddenly you'd have Russia vs India in the East instead of Pakistan vs India as rivals. Whatever country you look at, whilst industrialisation is good for jobs, it's bad for the world environment and it's bad for stability as you switch the arms purchasing power of nations from almost none existent to almost unlimited.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score

Maybe the truth of what's going on:

Truck Diver Shortage:

Energy News from today:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score

Truck Diver Shortage:

Energy News from today:

Great insight and if you can get paid more and work less?!?

Why not . . .

Never met someone on their death bed saying wished I’d worked more OT!

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
production to India
not sure if you were ever in india... but india is full of lazy fuckers and their productivity is near zero. Also everything what they produce is crap and full of flaws.

using he 3rd world,
they need to be used because there are to many of them. if china wont produce for the rest of the world, they would end like india. china could only control their citizen if they have a job, not matter what. this is how china work.

India went high tech over night
india has a literacy rate of near 80%, so this will never ever gonna happen

same shithole as india, same problems. just look up history books... its the same country with another name,,

as i already said. no one want to do the shitty job. you have no access to cheap workers from eastern europe anymore, so deal with it. rest of europe is still using them. maybe ask turkey to help you out or india. but india will maybe give you same traffic and deathrate problems like in india

Great insight and if you can get paid more and work less?!?
if you cant force them to do, you have a problem... ;)

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
not sure if you were ever in india... but india is full of lazy fuckers and their productivity is near zero. Also everything what they produce is crap and full of flaws.

they need to be used because there are to many of them. if china wont produce for the rest of the world, they would end like india. china could only control their citizen if they have a job, not matter what. this is how china work.

india has a literacy rate of near 80%, so this will never ever gonna happen

same shithole as india, same problems. just look up history books... its the same country with another name,,

as i already said. no one want to do the shitty job. you have no access to cheap workers from eastern europe anymore, so deal with it. rest of europe is still using them. maybe ask turkey to help you out or india. but india will maybe give you same traffic and deathrate problems like in india

if you cant force them to do, you have a problem... ;)
Historically speaking 1st nations sent out production to 3rd worlds to lower costs and increase profits. It also allowed the company to skirt environmental, health & safety laws.

As we see now off shoring all production comes with a price of not having any ability to access the same during trade disputes or tariffs. As it relates to India as to what they export or do they make the bulk of their revenue from oil refinery, diamonds, jewelry, and rice.

They probably lead the world in call centres and IT support even though they truly suck ass in it.

The Philippians offers higher IT call centre quality and their command of English is probably ten times better than any Indian you’ve ever heard.

Don’t know if they (India) are still heavily involved as they were in textiles but that was a huge export for them before.

They aren’t well known in technology production but obviously smart enough to make the bomb. If people in Vietnam and other smaller Asian countries can hold a soldering iron I’m sure the Indians can too!

Whether the QA is there comes down to who’s the company and willing to pay for the same. People will often reference China as producing absolutely pure shit products that span every sector.

Well, what these people fail to ever call out is the Chinese can make anything at any price point! That encompasses shit to the very best name anything.

Generally speaking Apple doesn’t make all their hardware in China because that factory is going to produce shit. What they and every major company does is have onsite QA and contracts that call out X quality.

Money talks - bull shit walks . . .

So the Chinese can make anything so long as you pay them to produce the same and have Bob watching over them! Doesn’t hurt the fact the Chinese government will absolutely put a bullet in your forehead if you fuck with the economy and jobs for its people!

India, who knows whether 1.4 - 1.6 billion ~ a vast majority live in the dirt can figure out what to do with a DMM / math.

Last edited:

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
People will often reference China as producing absolutely pure shit products that span every sector.
A chinese friend told me everything what they export is the best what they have.
Everything what they can buy in mainland china is crap and dangerous. hongkong is special for sure

sadly FBI removed liveleak etc. from the internet... so we dont have the vids anymore
need some fake bricks?
View attachment 1586768833240.webm
you can also find some vids on youtube

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
A chinese friend told me everything what they export is the best what they have.
Everything what they can buy in mainland china is crap and dangerous. hongkong is special for sure

sadly FBI removed liveleak etc. from the internet... so we dont have the vids anymore
need some fake bricks?
View attachment 103437
you can also find some vids on youtube

Building standards most definitely need to be addressed and building codes enforced. Than again has anyone ever seen a scaffold made out of bamboo?!?

You got to be really trusting it was assembled and erected correctly. I can’t say if the local wares are different vs export it probably comes down to who it is and the product.

If we reference just Dahua / Hikvision the two largest OEM / ODM makers of security video hardware in the world. They didn’t get there simply by producing junk for hundreds of companies.

The current struggle for the Chinese is producing high grade steel. Somewhere down the road they lost the skill and mastery of the same. I would guess they will master that in the next five years given their incredible focus and 100 plan!

Nobody can name a single country that has a 100 year plan like the Chinese.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Use robots in the US. Musk does. No reason chips should be so much more expensive if robots are used.
Fabs in the US are highly automated already. Viewing the production area (through windows) makes one feel like he's in a syfi movie. All of the steps from raw wafer to finished chips are automated, and the wafers are carried to the different production stations automatically, typically via an overhead rail system. There are not very many workers inside the production area. I would guess that the big cost difference in US vs. China is for keeping the facility running. Things like equipment maintenance, the chemicals and gasses used in production, facility maintenance, utilities, and so forth. But there's another big factor. The more advanced chips being made by Taiwan Semiconductor cannot be made in any US fabs (see footnote). There are a couple of new fabs under construction in US (one by Taiwan Semiconductor) that will be able to make what Taiwan Semiconductor makes now, but at about the same time Taiwan Semiconductor (in Taiwan) will have moved on to smaller geometries that can't be built in the US. Catching up to them will take at least a few years and a lot of billion $ in new fabs. Until then, the more advanced chips will always be cheaper to make in Taiwan (or South Korea, where Samsung is also ahead of any of the US fabs). Things may have changed since I worked for a chip manufacturing company. Back then it was common for the chips themselves to be made in a US fab, shipped to china for packaging in their dip, sip, bga, or whatever package, then back to US for selling. That was before the Asian fabs jumped way ahead with new technology.

Footnote: The advanced chips could be made in a US fab, but they would have to be made using bigger geometry which means higher manufacturing cost and greater power consumption by the finished chip.

Reaction score
My wife and I decided to sell one of our cars. I work from home, hardly ever go anywhere and all my wife uses a car for is to ferry the grandkids to and from school. We have our groceries delivered from Safeway just a few miles from us.

Went on to edmunds.com to see what the value might be and a pop up from Carmax appeared offering me a thousand dollars more than I paid for the car in 2017. After a couple of hours I had a check in hand. While I was there, a steady stream of car sellers came in. Used cars are rising in value because new cars aren’t being made in enough volume to satisfy demand primarily due to the chip shortages.

Our more expensive car now sits in the garage out of the sun and elements so is a win all around.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
What sets India ahead of China is their literacy rate; you'll see more Indians speaking English than their Chinese counterparts ;)

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
speaking English
English? Could also be chinese ;)

new cars aren’t being made in enough volume to satisfy demand primarily due to the chip shortages.
when its over and they got their ordered cars the market will be flooded with used cars which may hurt the cardealer hard ...

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Fabs in the US are highly automated already. Viewing the production area (through windows) makes one feel like he's in a syfi movie. All of the steps from raw wafer to finished chips are automated, and the wafers are carried to the different production stations automatically, typically via an overhead rail system. There are not very many workers inside the production area. I would guess that the big cost difference in US vs. China is for keeping the facility running. Things like equipment maintenance, the chemicals and gasses used in production, facility maintenance, utilities, and so forth. But there's another big factor. The more advanced chips being made by Taiwan Semiconductor cannot be made in any US fabs (see footnote). There are a couple of new fabs under construction in US (one by Taiwan Semiconductor) that will be able to make what Taiwan Semiconductor makes now, but at about the same time Taiwan Semiconductor (in Taiwan) will have moved on to smaller geometries that can't be built in the US. Catching up to them will take at least a few years and a lot of billion $ in new fabs. Until then, the more advanced chips will always be cheaper to make in Taiwan (or South Korea, where Samsung is also ahead of any of the US fabs). Things may have changed since I worked for a chip manufacturing company. Back then it was common for the chips themselves to be made in a US fab, shipped to china for packaging in their dip, sip, bga, or whatever package, then back to US for selling. That was before the Asian fabs jumped way ahead with new technology.

Footnote: The advanced chips could be made in a US fab, but they would have to be made using bigger geometry which means higher manufacturing cost and greater power consumption by the finished chip.
Taiwanese production needs to be shifted to the US anyway and the factories over there rigged with explosives for if the worst happens. The last thing the West wants is the CCP getting their hands on the latest fab tech if the worst happens and they invade.

If Western governments have any foresight at all (hopefully the chip manufacturers starting to build in the West is a sign they do), they will prepare for a scorched earth policy in Taiwan if an Invasion occurs.

My apologies to Andy here if my posts seem in any way anti Chinese. We love the Chinese people, it's just the CCP that's a bit of an issue with the West due to some of their actions you may or may not be aware of at your end. I expect you can't comment anyway in case the CCP are monitoring you. But it's nothing against you.

Flavacali

n3wb
Reaction score
Computers and cars are easily repairable, however, the cost of repair is not economical after a certain point. That is not the fault of the manufacture.
In 1998 an average pc cost 3000. Today you can buy a pc for 199-250. The reason folks kept them longer was because they were much more expensive to purchase and thus cost efficient to repair. Todays pc's are much more reliable and efficient. The reason folks replace them is for performance upgrades generally not a result of failure.
Same with cars, they are cheaper adjusted for inflation and because of the complexity due to safety and comfort innovations it is not cost effective to repair them after a certain point.
I have many desktop pc's running blue iris under decent load for 5-8+ years, no issues.
Samsung provides updates for 4 years.
The reason why you were able to sell you old macbook for 450 even though you cannot install the latest OS is a combo of the average foolish apple buyer who knows less than nothing and your 20% VAT.
I agree 100 percent. I have an Audi Q7 2011. I started smelling gas fumes. Noticed a tiny leak underneath the car. I called so many places. I decided to go with a known company midas. Guy said 60 dollars diagnostics check will only take 60 minutes. They saw a muffler bracket broken. And said noticed some leaks from some under the car hoses and can possibly be a fuel pump located under the back seat. Kept my car 5 days with no updates until I called corporate and said I'm picking my car up. When I got there my car was just put into the lift in the bay the workers said right after manager was notified if my complaint. Found out their was no invoice done and nothing else checked but the muffler bracket. The worker said just to take out back seat and put a new pump in was around 1400 dollars. And the muffler bracket with labor was 300.