Thinking of converting, where do I start?

Reaction score
I, too, have a USG. I put my cameras into a group and then blocked that group to and from the Internet. All cameras are on the same corporate LAN as our other computers, including BI.

When trying to check for a firmware update, it times out indicating that the camera cannot get to the Internet

5F6F7F66-9FDE-4A1F-8F11-0912F94ED361.jpeg

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Get an unmanaged switch. trust me. you got enough variables already. This elimates more shit to go wonky...
I currently ( because of the Condo I work at) have my Internet connection thru a TPlink USB wifi device. in the 172.116.x.x range.
in the 192.168.1..xxx range are all the cameras and switches and the primary NIC of the computer running BI
one of these days i'll run cat5e to the computer and add a 2nd NIC. I have the NIC....where the fuck I put it hellifiknow...
But i'll find it...LOL

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Netgear is a confusing brand, can’t figure out the difference between PP, EP, 316 or 515. I gave up at 2am and just ordered the GS316EPP, at least I have 30 days to return if I made the wrong choice.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I, too, have a USG. I put my cameras into a group and then blocked that group to and from the Internet. All cameras are on the same corporate LAN as our other computers, including BI.

When trying to check for a firmware update, it times out indicating that the camera cannot get to the Internet

View attachment 140551
That function doesn't work anyway, never has.

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I couldn’t stand the watermark in the demo version of BI so I purchased the full license; why procrastinate. Also purchased the iPhone app to play with but need to work on the triggers because they are going crazy.

Am I correct in assuming the the camera IVS alerts won’t transmit to BI if using the RTSP feed from the NVR but should start once I get my POE switch and connect to the cameras via ONVIF?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I couldn’t stand the watermark in the demo version of BI so I purchased the full license; why procrastinate. Also purchased the iPhone app to play with but need to work on the triggers because they are going crazy.

Am I correct in assuming the the camera IVS alerts won’t transmit to BI if using the RTSP feed from the NVR but should start once I get my POE switch and connect to the cameras via ONVIF?
Can't speak for the NVR part, but I suspect that is correct. And yes, once the cameras are coming into BI, you can absolutely have the IVS triggers pulled into BI and then use for alerts in the BI app.

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So another last minute project. My living room/dining room has vaulted ceilings and because of bad insulation, always get ice dams and leaks during the winter. Tired of always having to fix the water leak damage, I took things to the extreme; had the entire ceiling removed and applies spray-foam insulation.

Since I had drywall guys already there, figured it was a great time to run some Cat5 cables for my new BI setup. I did a couple runs from my “server room” to the second floor attic where some POE switches will be and asked the electrician to run two lines to my office where the BI computer is. I showed the electrician where I would like the plugs but then had to leave. When I got home late I was shocked to find the wires hanging from the ceiling. Called the guy who told me that the interior wall was cinder block so couldn’t fish the wires so he did his best. The house is old and I can understand the hurtle but couldn’t he go 4 feet more and hang the wires in the corner.

I moved the wires to the corner myself and will find a raceway that I can install and paint so they don’t stand out. Excited that other than having a much warmer house this winter, I can also start working on a more secure BI system.

Attachments

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Quick update: 1st and the most urgent, got a raceway from Home Depot, painted and covered the wires before the wife sees them.

Next, since I’m doing a wife approved home improvement project and she won’t be able to decider all the credit card charges on the statement, I went shopping; ordered a UDM Pro (currently on a USG and Cloud Key both v1), and a 19U wall mount rack. Now with spray foam insulation, the first floor attic is now a conditioned space and soon to be my new server room. And the best thing is she will never go up there.

Regarding my BI implementation: All my cams are on my new external POE, mapped to BI but since I haven’t had time to play around with BI and recordings, the cams are also mapped to the NVR and following the existing schedule and triggers.
196AC38D-4CC2-4903-A031-A23AD6919543.jpeg

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think you need one more desktop PC....:cool:
I think the newest one of those PCs has Windows Vista. The big one is a Dell XPS from about 15 years ago, before I converted to Mac; it was fully decked out back then. Whenever I have time to turn it back on, wanted to see if the hardware could possibly be used for BI. Also curious to see how top of the line from 15 years ago compares to today’s standards.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
The vista might come in handy because it has internet explorer....But who knows how tanlged a mess it would be to get a camera Web Gui to open correctly in IE8 or 9