2 x x5675 6 cores each at 3.2mhz
16 gb of ram

what amount of 4K cameras would something like this be able to run

worth using or buying a desktop

what matters more cores or speed

sorry for all the questions

regards
Liam
Those old servers belong in the trash, they are space heater power hogs. You can buy an i5-6500 based pc for $120 that will be WAY more efficient and more powerful for BI and it will pay for itself in a year or so. See wiki.

braddg

n3wb
Reaction score
I was in a similar boat as you...new to the forum with a free Dell PowerEdge T320 (4 core 1.8Ghz) and a GTX1080TI laying around. No cost to me to try it. I'm currently running 8x4MP cams and a 3MP doorbell. Blue Iris with sub-streams and direct to disk main streams, the CPU is running 30 to 40% (if I'm not messing around with it). The GPU Video power is running around 4% with video decode around 12%.

I might run this way until I find a reason to spend money on something else. Based on what I've been able to do thus far, I would suggest you try what you have and decide later if you need more. Good Luck to you.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Blue Iris can optimally, use the 6th Gen Intel CPU to decode/encode at H265. I think the Server CPU doesnt have intel Quick Sync, and then you have to suck more electricity with a Graphics card. I'm running 13 Camera's most of them are 4 Megapixel, and 3 of them are 2Megapixel. I just purchased an HP Elitedesk 800 G4 Small form factor (SFF) from ebay. After learning from these guys who have done all the trial and error and research and development. Of course I have to try stuff on my own, and come to my own conclusion on somethings. The i7-3770 Im running right now is pretty much at it's limit for viewing captured video whilst still recording 13 cams in the back ground....So after my own trial and error I arrived at a conclusion to try the Elitedesk. Fenderman was good enough to detail the internal bays and Pcie slots and rams slots. After comparing them to an Optiplex 8th gen intel sff machine, I liked the additional expansion capabilities of the Elitedesk. They wont use too much energy or be too loud.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Electricity is expensive in the UK. If you already have the server, test it out with the BI demo (the demo is not full function) , us a save-a-watt to measure the power then figure out how much it will cost to run 24/7/365.

The Xeon 5675 does not have a built in graphics processor. This is an 9 year old processor.

Also servers are built to run multiple programs, not one program. Bi will run slower than expected do to the dual processer and the lack of an internal share cache.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was in a similar boat as you...new to the forum with a free Dell PowerEdge T320 (4 core 1.8Ghz) and a GTX1080TI laying around. No cost to me to try it. I'm currently running 8x4MP cams and a 3MP doorbell. Blue Iris with sub-streams and direct to disk main streams, the CPU is running 30 to 40% (if I'm not messing around with it). The GPU Video power is running around 4% with video decode around 12%.

I might run this way until I find a reason to spend money on something else. Based on what I've been able to do thus far, I would suggest you try what you have and decide later if you need more. Good Luck to you.
You are on a completely different boat. You are running a single weak efficient processor. The op's server is running two power hog old processors that is not free, you have to pay the electric company. When you can purchase an efficient system for 120 its a no brainer.

Tro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been running a few machines in the past, currently running an I7 9700k - with 10 cameras - combination of 8/5/2mp
I have an old server running (had for some time) Dell 710 and will be moving BI across to that for a week
If your interested, I can let you know how that goes
p.s. power is no issue for me here (Solar) and server is on 24/7 anyways and runs much cooler!

Tro