Thief

janbo

n3wb
Reaction score
Guy was in my yard 5 hours before the camera recorded the thief taking the bike. The day time picture has him walking up the drive before taking the bike.

Is there any software that will give more detail to the night picte?

Attachments

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there any software that will give more detail to the night picte?
someone's been watching too much CSI, you got all the detail your going to get.. this is why wide angle cameras suck and zoom wins the day.

janbo

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry I asked, most people are not as smart as you. Will go to school and try to learn more about what CSI can do

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
try saying 'Enhance' really firmly at the photo, that seems to do the trick if you live in hollywood reality.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Shame on you for not being a security camera expert Janbo. After you get over Nayr's need to be a dick he has hinted at some good advice. Wide-angle lens are good for capturing an overview of actions which occur within the camera's field of view, but they usually fail to achieve adequate facial recognition. A "zoom" camera allows you to adjust the lens to capture good close ups, such as license plates or faces. You could also use a different lens (such as 8mm) and station the camera at a "choke point" (which is a location everyone needs to pass through in order to access a location). The correct lens size, employed at the correct choke point, will provide you with evidentiary video (good facial recognition). Alternatively, a pan/tilt/zoom (PTZ) camera will allow you zoom in to obtain such shots, but you need to (1) leave it zoomed into the choke point or (2) operate it manually which is kind of stupid because if one is present to operate the zoom then one simply takes a baseball bat and hurts the thief. One may employ auto-tracking software to automatically operate the PTZ camera, but good auto-track software gets expensive IMO and most of us are hobbyists or homeowners looking for inexpensive solutions. In addition, better night-vision requires either very expensive cameras or the introduction of additional light into the field of view.

But all-in-all those images aren't too bad bro. :)

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Just to confuse you, are you sure it's the same guy? To me the day pic shows an average guy in shorts, a hoodie with a big logo and piping, and sunglasses which are probably not prescription because they're on his head. The night guy stealing the bike is skinny, has long pants, a hoodie with no logo or piping I can see, and appears to be wearing glasses that are most likely prescription. Who wears sunglasses in the dark in unfamiliar yards? Everything he is wearing looks light coloured but might be dark in the day and just reflects IR at night to look bright. My money is on them being two different people. The day guy might be innocent and just cutting through your yard to skip the construction.

As for the CSI stuff, their magic pretty much consists of starting out with great footage, fuzzing it up to make it lousy, and then saying "enhance" or "zoom in and sharpen it up a bit" and showing the process backwards to get to the good stuff from the crap.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree with @Kawboy12R: different guy.
shorts in the day shot. slacks at night and skinnier, no backpack.
why would he spend 5hrs in your yard?

but yeah, what @Q2U said.

then again, the geometry of the face is similar,
and he could've had pants in his backpack,
which he didn't bring along to grab the bike...

Last edited by a moderator:

janbo

n3wb
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying. The bike was put out a day before and his was the only guy in the back yard. try to post 2 videos. The day light shows he guy looking at bike and the night time picture shows the guy going right to the bike. Also checking videos for 3 days back has no one else in yard.

Attachments

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can do a police report and maybe the local cops know who he is

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
looking at both of the photos it looks like the mouth is the same, I think it's the same guy, it doesnt matter if the clothes are different.

janbo

n3wb
Reaction score
Police report has been filed. Police seem to think it's only a matter of time before he's caught. Police seemed surprised at the quality pictures or videos, said most home systems are not that good. I would upload the videos but looks like cam talk will not allow that. Will look into changing the date and time. Am using Hik 2 series except the one showing the drive.

Thanks for your reply's.

lulu5kamz

Known around here
Reaction score
This is how Hollywood would enhance your photos. From one of my favorite movies...:)

janbo

n3wb
Reaction score
I need this and also the printer,,(fast) Think it will be out in the 20 years?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Blade Runner takes place in 2019, so running out of time for that tech...