The Typical picture of a Perp on Nextdoor-type Apps with Consumer Grade Cameras like Ring, Nest, Arlo, Canary, Wyze, etc.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
From the Nextdoor post: "Last night, a man walked up our driveway and broke into all of our cars!!! He is just outside the frame of the camera so this is the only footage I got of him. Scary to think about this happening while we were right inside the door."

This is why you need more and better cameras. In case you don't see the perp, he is the motion blob on the bottom left of the screen.

1663281884120.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But sometimes even a blind squirrel gets an acorn. Here is a Ring doorbell that had enough light and a perp that was standing still that they could capture a decent image to take to the police of a main stealing their mail.

Scary thing is this was at 10pm at night and their mailbox was the kind that opens up into the house which aided in the decent capture as he basically had to stand still with just his arm and hand inside the house feeling around for mail. Too bad they didn't walk by and see that hand and had a field day with it LOL.

1663282276800.png

1663282341812.png

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In the downtown Kansas City police department HQ, theft/larceny floor is a large, blown up pic/poster on the wall of an unrecognizable cctv shot of what might be a black or white guy, captioned “do you recognize me!”

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another daytime steal, another Ring letdown. Anybody recognize this guy stealing a blower from the lawnboy?

1663635601545.png

One of the comments from Nextdoor was very helpful:

"Zoomed in on the photo a little to help looks like a older Honda hatch back or Mazda maybe"

1663635696722.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The daytime robberies continue. And another Ring failure. This time the camera is too high up and because it is wifi and not recording 24/7, it didn't record this person breaking into the house from the front door and robbing them and instead got the picture of their back leaving with a bag of goods.

1663808810926.png

And then to add insult to injury, someone (maybe same maybe not) came back 6 days later and did some more robbing and stole their weed whacker. The orange car is his getaway, so that might be a little more noticeable on the road, but without plates, this would be hard for the police to do much.

1663809060687.png

But this shows the problem with the wide-angle cameras - they make great overview cameras, but you cannot IDENTIFY at distance. They would need one lower or a varifocal optically zoomed in to a pinchpoint, as well as a camera on the side yard going down the driveway.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
So which is the thief? The guy with the rucksack or the guy with what looks like a strimmer?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So which is the thief? The guy with the rucksack or the guy with what looks like a strimmer?
They are both a thief 6 days apart - the first one is a thief walking away carrying a rucksack full of stuff they stole (the camera didn't motion detect him coming to the house, only going) and the 2nd picture is someone 6 days later (can't tell if the same person or a different person) is stealing their weed trimmer.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
The overall "quality" of the camera, itself, doesn't help much either.
For sure....

It's just crazy how many people will install cameras and immediately think "I'm good" without ever looking at the footage or doing a walk test to see if the cameras actually capture what they want it to. Or perhaps they look at the footage and just think, "I guess that's as good as it gets". I don't know.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
A guy comes in at 1:30am to steal a recently planted tree and was captured on a Ring floodlight camera.

In addition to the blur, the camera is too high and gets top of hoodie, and shows the importance of a camera looking each way.

That's really bad...... There is plenty of ambient light because of the floodlight and yet the Ring camera still won't use a fast enough shutter speed to prevent blurring. But let's be honest.... there isn't a single object in that image that is sharp. What a shitty camera. Of course by design these cameras are going to be mounted too high because people are going to default to placing them where floodlights would normally be installed, not where the best place to put a camera is.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's really bad...... There is plenty of ambient light because of the floodlight and yet the Ring camera still won't use a fast enough shutter speed to prevent blurring. But let's be honest.... there isn't a single object in that image that is sharp. What a shitty camera. Of course by design these cameras are going to be mounted too high because people are going to default to placing them where floodlights would normally be installed, not where the best place to put a camera is.
Exactly. The sad thing is that before the Ring floodlight came on, they have additional light so it was in color already, so it should have been great once the Ring Floodlight came on.

Something that most people don't know is that many of these wifi cameras will sacrifice quality in order to get the user some kind of image, which is what we see all the time with these pixelated or poor quality wifi cameras.

Very few companies will state that, but Ring does if people actually read what they buy:

Poor Quality Video Image and Adaptive Video Play

When it comes to video playback on your Ring app's Timeline, speed is important. You need an image of what's happening in front of your camera as quickly as possible. That's why the Ring app comes with an Adaptive Video Play feature. This article will explain what Adaptive Video Play is and what to expect from your app's video when it's being used.

What is Adaptive Video Play?

Adaptive Video Play is a feature of your Ring app that prioritizes getting video in front of you as quickly as possible, occasionally at the expense of quality. This system is needed because loading times for videos can vary based on your available bandwidth. Rather than wait for the system's high-quality video buffering to catch up and leave you staring at a loading screen for precious seconds, the Adaptive Video Play system transmits a lower quality video image until the higher quality video image is loaded. At that point, the image should seamlessly switch over to a higher resolution feed.

I have a Ring device that's supposed to transmit video at 1080p, but occasionally it will show an entire video in 720p. What's happening?

This again is the Adaptive Video Play system in action. If you're in an area where a poor connection is keeping the system buffering or the high-quality video from catching up, your Adaptive Video Play system is programmed to prioritize continuous playback at the expense of quality.

How do I avoid the low-quality video experience on my Timeline?

There are no user-accessible controls for the Adaptive Video Play system. However, you can avoid the low-quality video experience by moving into an area with a better cellular signal or by attaching your mobile device to a high-quality wifi signal.

You know what the best way is to avoid the low-quality video experience - do not buy a wifi camera LOL. A 4K wifi camera is useless if it has to stream D1 or worse due to poor internet.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
These kids came thru a neighborhood and stole everyone's pumpkins (estimated at 50) - literally put them in their car and then threw them at mailboxes in the next subdivision over:

1665281159062.png

1665281197220.png

Edit: Someone posted the damage to their mailbox.

1665418162499.png

Last edited:

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
These kids came thru a neighborhood and stole everyone's pumpkins (estimated at 50) - literally put them in their car and then threw them at mailboxes in the next subdivision over:

View attachment 141983

View attachment 141984
That Welcome Sign sure looks good, though. They should put these clips on their boxes to show the buyer how well the camera captures non-movement, when the light are on! :rofl:

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score

View attachment 141983

View attachment 141984
What site are you getting all of these great motion captures from? I need some great comedy relief in my life.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What site are you getting all of these great motion captures from? I need some great comedy relief in my life.
Just the friendly neighborhood Nextdoor app. Would love to leave the site, but the comic relief is just too good. Some of the comments people post really make me concerned for our society LOL.