The squirrel must die

Reaction score
The latest update on the War Against the Squirrels: over the past week, my wife shot another squirrel, and my squirrel pole got one. Since then we've haven't seen one sign of them in our back yard, on our deck, or near our trash bin. Most importantly, not one squirrel has tried to run over our roof or through our gutters. For now, at least, the battle has been won. However, I bought my wife a Wyze cam with a weather proof enclosure, which she has mounted next to her tomato plants on the deck. If her plants are attacked again, she'll be warned.

Attached is a photo of the squirrel investigating the bait on the pole, shortly before it met its maker. I have to say that the Conibear trap was quite effective.

Attachments

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A few years back the electric company put a couple of cut outs on the power lines coming to my house. The Tree rats were committing suicide on the transformer and killing the electric for the whole neighborhood.
Cut outs work like a breaker, if you look at some electric poles you will see something that looks like a grey plastic handle.
So when a squirrel gets French fried, I fire up the generator and call the electric company.
The little bastards would swell up like tick after there suicide trick.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
And now mice steal my bait!! So I set a trap for them too.
Nice rodent cam. Is that rodent chewing on the plastic wrapped around the post? You may want to trim some of those leaves, it looks like it is effecting your dynamic range on the cam.

I saw a video where this guy increases the sensitivity of the conibear trigger. Watch video around time 3:55. May help to get the rat.

Last edited:

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Nice rodent cam. Is that rodent chewing on the plastic wrapped around the post? You may want to trim some of those leaves, it looks like it is affecting your dynamic range on the cam.

I saw a video where this guy increases the sensitivity of the conibear trigger. Watch video around time 3:55. May help to get the rat.

Good tip on the sensitivity and trimming the leaves! The post is an old bird feeder post that rotted out. So the top was sheet metal to keep the squirrels off of it. The rat was cleaning up some peanut butter that was smeared there. Today I removed the sheet metal so the squirrels have full access to it. Also trimmed back some leaves to hopefully improve the night image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vandyman

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Latest news from the front: my wife took down another squirrel sitting on our fence at the back of our lot. After that, she sat outside for an hour waiting to see if another one showed up. I think that pellet rifle has turned her into a bloodthirsty fiend. :oops:
Entertainment at its best...
I think we should build a turret cam with a Co2 pellet gun attached. Cross hairs in the cam image.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I think we should build a turret cam with a Co2 pellet gun attached. Cross hairs in the cam image
Make it a PTZ cam and it would kind of be like a CIA drone, except in a fixed position. You could take out the pests from the comfort of your Lazyboy recliner. I wonder if we can get Ken to add a trigger function to BI?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Latest news from the front: my wife took down another squirrel sitting on our fence at the back of our lot. After that, she sat outside for an hour waiting to see if another one showed up. I think that pellet rifle has turned her into a bloodthirsty fiend. :oops:

Just think of it as training for the walking dead. At least when the zombie apocalypse occurs, she'll be able to protect you. You'll be too busy unsuccessfully trapping squirrels to eat.

Reaction score
Little bastards destroyed several strands of Christmas lights this spring. Gotta convince myself the $200 price tag is worth it :oops:
It's worth it. For my part I bought my wife a UTG 4-16X44 30mm scope to mount onto her pellet rifle. She was grouping her shots into an area about the diameter of a half dollar before the cold weather hit. Now the squirrels are coming out again, but she's still recovering from rotator cuff surgery and can't hold the weapon properly. Hopefully in another month she'll be sending more of them off to squirrel Valhalla.