The official "WTF" thread

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I love when motivated slightly-crazy highly skilled craftsmen make cool shit...

I just want to know how well The Chieftain fits into that ..

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I love when motivated slightly-crazy highly skilled craftsmen make cool shit...

Whenever I see these "fabrication" type videos that show someone who builds phenomenally cool projects and it shows them using only stick welder....... Yea I stop watching.

I do a lot of fabrication, and never once have I ever even considered hauling out the old Lincoln Tombstone from the corner.

Anyone who is truly talented enough to make something like this has a plethora of equipment at their disposal, and the last tool they'd use would be a stick welder..... Kind of like a finishing carpenter using a framing hammer to lay trim.

Reaction score
Whenever I see these "fabrication" type videos that show someone who builds phenomenally cool projects and it shows them using only stick welder....... Yea I stop watching.

I do a lot of fabrication, and never once have I ever even considered hauling out the old Lincoln Tombstone from the corner.

Anyone who is truly talented enough to make something like this has a plethora of equipment at their disposal, and the last tool they'd use would be a stick welder..... Kind of like a finishing carpenter using a framing hammer to lay trim.
I think most people just do not have the foundational knowledge of welding tools and the applicability of different welding methods. (me included!) I'd chalk that up to "editing" for some reason to not show the guy using the proper welder for the job. The question is---Why??? Does using the "framing hammer" of welding make this guy look more badass or something??

fergenheimer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

He spent his welder budget on the lathe!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
BTW looney do ya know the difference between a "Fairy Tale" and a "TEXAS Tale"?

As everyone knows, a "Fairy Tale" starts out as, "Once upon a time".

A "TEXAS Tale" starts out "Now ya sons a bitches ain't gonna believe this one, BUT"!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know of one truck driver out of a job right now and rightly so.....clear weather, broad daylight, excellent visibility, working and audible RR signals and operational crossing arm and a LOUD train horn announcing its impending arrival.

Maybe if you get your CDL re-instated in a couple of years next time you'll pull your head out your ass and turn your $%@# radio down or put down the phone as you approach a RR crossing.

Now here's the scary part, IMO: how long has this idiot been on the roadways among us driving an 18-wheeler, possibly with the same lack of attention and skill? :wtf::idk:

rolibr24

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know of one truck driver out of a job right now and rightly so.....clear weather, broad daylight, excellent visibility, working and audible RR signals and operational crossing arm and a LOUD train horn announcing its impending arrival.

Maybe if you get your CDL re-instated in a couple of years next time you'll pull your head out your ass and turn your $%@# radio down or put down the phone as you approach a RR crossing.

Now here's the scary part, IMO: how long has this idiot been on the roadways among us driving an 18-wheeler, possibly with the same lack of attention and skill? :wtf::idk:
I have my CDL, and have done a lot of truck driving back in the day. Over the past few years I have had the pleasure of experiencing the latest crop of drivers when we have to ship stuff out.

The old days of the Good Ol'e Boy truck drivers are long gone. Now none of them speak english, most wear turbans. Barely any of them know how to even back up to a dock. I have no idea how any of their trucks could pass a DOT inspection.

One of the latest shipments we had to ship out was on a box truck. The dude had a hole cut in the back of his cab into the delivery box. He made a box in the delivery box where he slept, then he had a hole cut in the bottom of the box where he would shit. I should have taken a picture but I was way to disgusted.

edit: I did find a picture of his sleeping arrangement, you can see the spray foam insulation sealing in his little cubby where he sleeps.

IMG_0907.jpeg

Last edited: