The official "WTF" thread

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I knew there were paintball fanatics... but I did not know the same goes for airsoft.

This guy is pretty damn good... and the cheaters are made famous on his channel... LOL

I play Call of Duty, been doing it for many years, if you get a good sniper he will rack up 50 kills a game, he will position himself on the far end of a map and unless you can snipe him, you will not be able to get close enough to him to take him out. Most of the time only an airstrike will take him out.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thieves steal a 200 foot tall radio tower! :idk:

Reaction score
Too bad it wasn’t an AM. I know basically nothing about them but I do know you shouldn’t touch anything near the tower or cables running up it

Upon further review maybe it is

Reaction score
Thieves steal a 200 foot tall radio tower! :idk:

Apologies if this sounds ignorant, but would this have been to resell the metal? Or is there some other not generally known reason to steal a radio tower?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Apologies if this sounds ignorant, but would this have been to resell the metal? Or is there some other not generally known reason to steal a radio tower?
That was my first thought. If so, there's also a crooked recycler. I guess they had all night to disassemble / cut it up.

@97JeepXJ , wife said she heard it WAS an AM but it's early in the reporting and investigation. AFAIK, it's an FM station. But like yourself I understand AM can be pretty nasty. There was a video on here at one time showing a man performing maintenance checks on an AM tower, maybe @garycrist knows where it's at.

I'm thinking there was some collaboration from disgruntled staff at the radio station...or someone's spouse / companion works there and over time they learned some weaknesses and holes in their security, etc. The old "inside job."

WJLX-FB_020524.jpg

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
On FM broadcast antennas, the radiating or hot side is up high. It still can kill
you just as dead and cooked too. Am Broadcast stations are different, as the whole mast
is hot with all of those thousands of volts too. In addition Am stations will have 120
radials or strands of copper with 5/8 the length of the frequency of operation or about
500-600 feet for AM 1200.
The guying system also has to be insulated and broken up with insulators at different
spacing to prevent unwanted harmonic radiation and disruption of the radiation pattern
to the service area.
If one listens closely the radio transmission is being heard with the arcs (capture of the harmonics
in the microphone of the recorder.

The BIG STUFF is here.