TFTP Issue updating Firmware on DS-7616NI-E2/8P

Zoperd

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I ran into a small problem (through my own stupidity) where I forgot the password I had put on my NVR, which in turn meant I didn't know the password for the 4 cameras I had initialized on it as well.

I've been able to TFTP the firmware back onto one of the cameras so far and put a new password on it, which should mean the other 3 cameras should be fine as well.

However, following the same method for the NVR (DS-7616NI-E2/8P) as I did with the cameras, with the correct firmware of course, I get the following error:

[2016-04-08 12:22:18] TFTP server[192.0.0.128] initialized
[2016-04-08 12:23:04] Connect client failure,0

Basically, the NVR boots, whilst it's booting up I can ping it at 192.0.0.64 for a few seconds and then the pings stop when it's booting into the Hikvision GUI. It doesn't retain the ip address and download the firmware.

Once it boots into the GUI, that's when "Connect client failure,0" shows up on the TFTP server.

Any help someone could give would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Zoperd.

Zoperd

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you by any chance have old enough firmware on the NVR that telnet access is available?
Or old enough that this tool still works on it : https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/2920-Hikvision-camera-admin-password-reset-tool
Thanks for the reply, alastairstevenson.

I should have mentioned that the firmware that it's running is already 3.4.0, I had tried the password reset tool already knowing that it was highly unlikely to work given the firmware version.

I've ordered a USB -> TTL Serial cable which should arrive next week, I'm hoping that connecting it to the motherboard in the NVR that I may be able to update the firmware via that method instead of through TFTP. Would this be correct?

As a last resort I guess given that it's an International version of the NVR and not Chinese, even though I purchased it from aliexpress, I *may* be able to get Hikvision to give me a reset code. Not sure what my chances are though which is why I've trying all other avenues first.

Thanks again,
Zoperd.

Zoperd

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi alastairstevenson,

Sorry I didn't reply to your PM mate, my post count isn't high enough to send PM's yet.

I haven't exported the device config at all, so don't have that unfortunately.

Cheers,
Zoperd.