Tesla Crashes Into Home

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wonder why the Tesla pulled out of the driveway and turned left toward the end of the cul-de-sac. At no point did the Tesla's wheels start to turn to the right.

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Part 2 video below

"All 3 victims were stable and released same night or next day. Driver suffered a broken neck. No airbags deployed. Driver reported stuck accelerator and brakes not responding. Possibly autopilot took over? Car parked inside garage was destroyed and knocked down bathroom wall, toilet, and base of sink and the garage door entry wall was damaged."

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Part 2 video below

"All 3 victims were stable and released same night or next day. Driver suffered a broken neck. No airbags deployed. Driver reported stuck accelerator and brakes not responding. Possibly autopilot took over? Car parked inside garage was destroyed and knocked down bathroom wall, toilet, and base of sink and the garage door entry wall was damaged."

What's that I smell? Ah, methinks it's an impending lawsuit! :headbang::confused:

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
There's zero chance the brakes "failed" along with a "stuck" throttle by wire.

My mom was only 55 when she floored the Camry and sent it into the house, hitting the washing machine. She claimed her sandals caused her difficulty with the pedals, but I don't buy it.

It's clear there was a car parked in the garage considering there's no chance that garage door alone could have stopped the car.

People's egos are too big to just say "I'm too old and too drunk to drive".

I don't own a Tesla, but I don't think you can enable autopilot while stopped in your driveway. It requires seeing lane markings and the vehicle to already be driving.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
There's zero chance the brakes "failed" along with a "stuck" throttle by wire.

My mom was only 55 when she floored the Camry and sent it into the house, hitting the washing machine. She claimed her sandals caused her difficulty with the pedals, but I don't buy it.

It's clear there was a car parked in the garage considering there's no chance that garage door alone could have stopped the car.

People's egos are too big to just say "I'm too old and too drunk to drive".

I don't own a Tesla, but I don't think you can enable autopilot while stopped in your driveway. It requires seeing lane markings and the vehicle to already be driving.
I did that once back in 1980 with an old VW Beetle I had. Flew up the driveway, hit the brake pedal, but it went to the floor and I crashed through the right hand side of the garage wall and the front end of the car ended up resting over the basement steps. It was my fault for going too fast, my fault for not fixing the soft brake pedal before.:embarrassed: It was the cars fault for breaking through the side of the garage wall into the basement stairwell. :thumb: No alcohol or mind altering drugs were involved.....:headbang: It was my parents fault for building a wall there to begin with.....:oops:

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I did that once back in 1980 with an old VW Beetle I had. Flew up the driveway, hit the brake pedal, but it went to the floor and I crashed through the right hand side of the garage wall and the front end of the car ended up resting over the basement steps. It was my fault for going too fast, my fault for not fixing the soft brake pedal before.:embarrassed: It was the cars fault for breaking through the side of the garage wall into the basement stairwell. :thumb: No alcohol or mind altering drugs were involved.....:headbang: It was my parents fault for building a wall there to begin with.....:oops:
I drove a '69 Beetle in high school. One time a pebble wedged into the gap in the throttle opening and when I let off, the car kept going. I made an unscheduled and unannounced left turn into a parking lot and did some circles until I could figure out what happened. Modern cars hang the throttle pedal from above, not a slit in the floor below.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was 16 when my dad's '57 Ford with 312 Thunderbird Special V-8 and 4 barrel lost the throttle return spring anchor at one end after I floored it (too hard, probably), the engine vacuum held it wide open. I made it to about 70 in a 35 very quickly but turned off the key and jammed on the brakes. It was Ford's first year with the linkage from the throttle connected to the top of the pedal, not coming up through the floorboard, IIRC, and it was laying on the floor once I got stopped.

Holley made that low profile 4 bbl especially for the low, front-hinged hood on the '57 Ford and thereafter all Holley carbs were low profile.

I popped the hood to assess what happened and it was then that my knees began quivering super bad when it hit me what had just happened and that I avoided a serious accident. That was my first car driving "scare" if you will. :cool:

Last edited:

redpoint5

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I did that once back in 1980 with an old VW Beetle I had. Flew up the driveway, hit the brake pedal, but it went to the floor and I crashed through the right hand side of the garage wall and the front end of the car ended up resting over the basement steps. It was my fault for going too fast, my fault for not fixing the soft brake pedal before.:embarrassed:
I also drove a Volvo for a week with no primary brakes. Used the handbrake until I fixed the leak. Kids and very old folk seem to take risks that others don't.