Terrible night vision - what am I doing wrong?

codemonkey

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 3 Hikvision HD cameras and 1 SV3C HD camera. The Hikvision cameras are great with excellent picture quality both day and night. Until recently the SV3C was indoors and the night vision was acceptable but recently I moved it out to the driveway and the night vision is absolutely terrible (the camera might as well be turned off for all the good it’s doing). I've tried copying the settings (bitrates etc) from the Hikvision onto the SV3C and its made no difference.

I’m using Blue Iris (currently v4.7.6.9 x64) and the same terrible image is seen on the camera GUI and blue iris so I’ve taken a screenshot from blue iris with both camera feeds side by side. Both cameras are looking at the same area, but the Hikvision is high up and the SV3C is about 7 feet off the ground.
Hikvision config on the attached image is resolution 2688*1520, variable bitrate with max 6144 Kbps, frame rate 20fps, medium quality.

SV3C config on the attached image is resolution 1920*1080, variable bitrate with max 8192 Kbps, framerate 25fps. I have tried cranking up the settings as high as they will go but it doesn’t seem to have any effect.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 3 Hikvision HD cameras and 1 SV3C HD camera. The Hikvision cameras are great with excellent picture quality both day and night. Until recently the SV3C was indoors and the night vision was acceptable but recently I moved it out to the driveway and the night vision is absolutely terrible (the camera might as well be turned off for all the good it’s doing). I've tried copying the settings (bitrates etc) from the Hikvision onto the SV3C and its made no difference.

I’m using Blue Iris (currently v4.7.6.9 x64) and the same terrible image is seen on the camera GUI and blue iris so I’ve taken a screenshot from blue iris with both camera feeds side by side. Both cameras are looking at the same area, but the Hikvision is high up and the SV3C is about 7 feet off the ground.
Hikvision config on the attached image is resolution 2688*1520, variable bitrate with max 6144 Kbps, frame rate 20fps, medium quality.

SV3C config on the attached image is resolution 1920*1080, variable bitrate with max 8192 Kbps, framerate 25fps. I have tried cranking up the settings as high as they will go but it doesn’t seem to have any effect.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
SV3C is garbage. You either have the camera set to day mode or the ir cut filter may be stuck.
If you want exceptional night vision see the hikvision low light camera thread or the dahua starlight turret threads

LoinKing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
SV3C is garbage. You either have the camera set to day mode or the ir cut filter may be stuck.
If you want exceptional night vision see the hikvision low light camera thread or the dahua starlight turret threads
Which thread is it? I can't find it

codemonkey

n3wb
Reaction score
Dahua look good but seem difficult to source in the UK and im not particularly looking for very low light vision as we have a streetlight right outside the house. I'm just looking for something of the Hikvision night quality so was generally wondering if i had done something wrong on that useless SV3C camera.

I have looked on every page on the cam config but i cant find anything which mentions a day mode or IR settings. There doesnt appear to be anything I can tweak in Blue Iris either because it just knows the device as a generic H.264 RTSP/ONVIF source. At night the IR leds on the camera are definately turned on so i dont know if that helps rule anything out.

I might just have to go for another Hikvision but this time a turret not a dome as i've learnt a lesson with the dome cameras which is dont use em outside in high places because they need too much cleaning. What is the general view on the Hiwatch cameras? Are they Hikvision quality or a poor imitation?