Tell SmartPSS to playback from NAS

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi! I'm using SmartPSS and would like to play content back from my NAS. I have everything setup in SmartPSS, but the playback function is extremely slow. Over a wired connection it works a bit better, but it's still pretty slow. Doing a packet capture, I see that SmartPSS is actually playing back the content through the camera and not from the NAS source location.

Is there a way to tell SmartPSS to play back from a Samba (or even a local directory) instead of playing through the camera itself?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi! I think it would help if you describe who is creating these files on the NAS? Is it from (and done by) the camera's or SmartPSS who wrote those files?

If it's done by the camera's, why don't you use a classic video player (eg media player classic)?

PS. I only use smartpss in conjunction with an NVR, so no NAS or SMB involved, as I don't trust any camera/NVR nearby my precious NASes, but that's another security question off course.

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi! I think it would help if you describe who is creating these files on the NAS? Is it from (and done by) the camera's or SmartPSS who wrote those files?
To give a little insight into my setup... I have a Linux samba share setup and have the cameras configured so they write the video files to the SMB share. I'm running SmartPSS on my workstation that has the connection back to that samba share.

I actually did check out the classic video player and it works great. The video playback is smooth and doesn't stall, even when playing it back from my samba share over wifi. In comparison to SmartPSS, where even over a wire the video just hung.

SmartPlayer works well, but I also like being able to query and filter the video like how you can in SmartPSS. With Smartplayer, it's more time intensive, since I have to look at the filename timestamps to try to figure out which video to play. Not a huge deal, but SmartPSS looks like everything I like, except that it streams the video through the camera.