T568a &b help!!

Joshua1316

n3wb
Reaction score
So I’m running into a problem.

I am installing EZVIZ camera system that I am hardwiring them to my network switch. I made both ends of the cable t568b and didn’t work, I then switch it to t568a and I still didn’t work. Then I left one side t568b and changed the other to t568a and it worked!!! but the issue is it instantly slowed down my network to almost 0. My network is 700mbs, when I plug in the camera drops down to 2mbs and when I unplug goes back to 700. I have no idea what to do. And I’m confused because I thought both ends of the cat5e had to be the same on both sides.

anyone have any clue.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
No clue on what you described, but a suggestion. Move the camera near your switch and connect it using a pre-made patch cable to see if that works. One thought actually, could you possibly have been holding the RJ45 upside down when inserting the wires?

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Joshua1316

When I installed my cameras I bought the tester in the below link. Works great in letting you know if you have a cable issue it also lets you know how long the cable is.

Tester

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

iantan

n3wb
Reaction score
568b is the most common but it really doesn't matter as both a and b are both straight through connection, i.e. the pins match both ends as long as they are both "A" or "B". It only gets more complex if you have an rj45 one end and the other is connected to a patch panel, then confusion can arise as the PC transmit pins can get swapped around.
As MikeLud1 says use a tester, my thought is you have a badly connected rj45. I wired some up yesterday and had one plug not recognising all connections. I test every connection as I make it as it takes seconds to test and saves hours in diagnostics.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most testers check for conductivity not data rate, and not that the wires are in the correct order. The colors and order must match. The twists must be correct.
Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
568b.png

568b2.jpg

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I remember a cabling job for a Cabelas warehouse in La Crosse. Install wireless access points warehouse wide. We had those man lifts and it was slow going. So we decided to make and test cable lengths in the hotel room and test them. My Home Depot crimper was the only one that would test good everytime. I believe it was an "Ideal" brand crimper. nothing special. So there was alot of re-terminating for the other 3 guys. Then we all passed one crimper around because we were losing time re-terminating. I think they wanted a grid pattern every 100 ft or something. So then we let the new guy log mac addresses to the blueprint locations. he screwed it all up somehow with the labeling. They sent me to another job. My Buddy had to go back the next week and straighten the whole mess out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Over the last few years I have terminated over 100 RJ45s in my home. How do I know this? I am on my third jar of 50 RJ45s. I tested every single one of them and never had an issue, until I was working on my LPR cams. See the ethernet went from the LPR cam box in the garden at the front of the house, through conduit into a weep hole in one of the pillars, up to the porch beam, along that beam to the driveway side beam, through a short piece of conduit to the attic area over my garage, then to a patch panel in that space. It was the end of the day and I was pooped. To test that last cable I would have to go upstairs (again) into a bedroom and through a crawl space to get to that patch panel. I decided not to test it. Hey every one I had done before was perfect!

Plugged the cam in and tried to get to it via the web GUI. IP address not found. It had worked just fine on a short cable at my desk the day before. So I tested it and of course I had swapped two wires. Now to decide which end? Yup it was the last one I did, at the cam end.

Almost every post here that someone asks about non-functioning cams or intermittent cams, turns out to be a bad termination.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if the tester only checks continuity, It is better than nothing, but it is at the bottom of the pile. It needs to test signals. Continuity will be correct it you have crossed the wires on both sends the same way, but the cable may not work at 1G.

The colors and twist must be correct.

Billyjack5

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if the tester only checks continuity, It is better than nothing, but it is at the bottom of the pile. It needs to test signals. Continuity will be correct it you have crossed the wires on both sends the same way, but the cable may not work at 1G.

The colors and twist must be correct.
What's a good recommended tester that tests more than continuity?

fstfrd50

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You may be using the correct pattern, T568A or B but perhaps you have the rj45 upside down on opposite ends. I had the same problem on of my CAT6 cable lines to the point that I even printed a color diagram to make sure I wasn’t inserting the color wires out of order, only to find out that the connectors where installed incorrectly at both ends.IMG_4021.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk