T5442T-ZE Day/Night settings

blulegend

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i would like to see if there is a way to have the following:
Day/Night Profile

Day: settings for plenty of light

Night: Stay in color, Different WDR or backlight control, different exposure compensation, etc

When trying to use the day/night profile, it seems the profile day/night is basically only auto control for the B&W mode. If I set the general profile or force day or night, you can stay in color but can’t change the other settings depending on the amount of light/artificial light that comes on at night.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
All of my cameras are set to use different profiles. I use full time for the schedule in the camera and it is changed from the day to night profiles using the sunset/sunrise utility which runs in the background n my BI machine.

Incidentally, WDR is not a good idea at night because it will introduce noise and blurring of motion unless at set at very low levels.

Sunrise/Sunset Utility

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I set my 5442 cams to use the day/night profile and then have individual settings for both day and night which you do from the drop down box on each of the settings for camera settings.

blulegend

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
All of my cameras are set to use different profiles. I use full time for the schedule in the camera and it is changed from the day to night profiles using the sunset/sunrise utility which runs in the background n my BI machine.

Incidentally, WDR is not a good idea at night because it will introduce noise and blurring of motion unless at set at very low levels.

Sunrise/Sunset Utility
interesting. I may have to look into this day/night utility.

I set my 5442 cams to use the day/night profile and then have individual settings for both day and night which you do from the drop down box on each of the settings for camera settings.
when using the day/night profile, it seems like the night portion can’t be forced to use color. I’m on the 7/29/2021 firmware from EmpireTech.

I use the schedule profile and then all controls are available. Yes I have to change times 2-3 times per year.
really don’t want to go through and change the schedule unfortunately. I might look into the day/night sunset utility

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5442 can be set to color in the night profile. I'll do a screen cap and post it later when I get a chance.

blulegend

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The 5442 can be set to color in the night profile. I'll do a screen cap and post it later when I get a chance.
Thanks! I’ll try to mess around with it more but I distinctly remember that if I set to the Full Time profile, go back to Night in the drop down, change to Color, then go back to change the profile to Day/Night, then go back to Night in the drop down, the drop down is grayed out and the setting is Auto again.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't forget to "save" when you switch to color and that you need to do the same things, with a "save" for the day profile as well.

Sorry I haven't gotten those screen caps yet. Started a "simple" project that turned into a nightmare.
Hey, I'm king of those!
You know, the estimated 1 hour job, that takes all day! :headbang:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey, I'm king of those!
You know, the estimated 1 hour job, that takes all day! :headbang:
Relaxing for a minute after dinner for a few sips of coffee before going back to the nightmare.

I estimated this job, replace four X10 switches with four ZWave switches would take about two hours. So far I've got four hours into it with another two, or maybe three, to go. That's just for the switches. I'd love to find the electrician that wired this joint. There are no neutrals in the switch boxes, and no "line" feeds as a discrete feed. Once I get the wiring completed I'll need to do some spackling, too, and that's not in that two hour additional estimate.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just recently shed a tear for my drawer full of X10 switches and plugin dimmers that I sacked up and dropped into the garbage ️. Some of them were over 40yrs old and they all still worked. But I have too many electronics with noisy power supplies now and the x10 became unreliable. I'm dipping my toes into tplink Kasa WiFi switches. The dummy that wired this house 38 years ago, didn't put neutrals in the boxes either. Said dummy would be me.

38 years ago if I'd heard someone say Wi-Fi switches, Z-Wave switches, wait, what are you talking about?

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry, not meaning to hikack the thread but,

I've got about 15 or so insteon switches still in service (that replaced all of my X-10 years ago) and am ready to pull them for something more modern and reliable. Too bad. These switches seem well made and have, for the most part, worked okay. I have a few that are just too wonky and getting tired of messing with them. The insteon app is pretty bad. I have a few Kasa as well as wemo, leviton and probably others I can't recall. So many choices today. Is there a reason you're leaning toward Kasa?

I just recently shed a tear for my drawer full of X10 switches and plugin dimmers that I sacked up and dropped into the garbage ️. Some of them were over 40yrs old and they all still worked. But I have too many electronics with noisy power supplies now and the x10 became unreliable. I'm dipping my toes into tplink Kasa WiFi switches. The dummy that wired this house 38 years ago, didn't put neutrals in the boxes either. Said dummy would be me.

38 years ago if I'd heard someone say Wi-Fi switches, Z-Wave switches, wait, what are you talking about?

Justin Blackburn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I’m pretty big into home automation. For houses without neutrals at the switches, look at using Shelly 1pm for lights or Shelly 2 pm for fan light combos. You install these little relays at the fixture and leave the switches as is. You can then control them through voice assistants like alexa or still have manual control through normal switch as well.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, not meaning to hikack the thread but,

I've got about 15 or so insteon switches still in service (that replaced all of my X-10 years ago) and am ready to pull them for something more modern and reliable. Too bad. These switches seem well made and have, for the most part, worked okay. I have a few that are just too wonky and getting tired of messing with them. The insteon app is pretty bad. I have a few Kasa as well as wemo, leviton and probably others I can't recall. So many choices today. Is there a reason you're leaning toward Kasa?
I started with some mini-plugins from Kasa, they proved to be rock solid.
My son has had several in wall Kasa switchs for about a year now, and they have worked really well and reliable.
Plus they are inexpensive. Time will tell.

SageTX

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks! I’ll try to mess around with it more but I distinctly remember that if I set to the Full Time profile, go back to Night in the drop down, change to Color, then go back to change the profile to Day/Night, then go back to Night in the drop down, the drop down is grayed out and the setting is Auto again.
I just went through my cameras to set color mode at night. The Day/Night profile management sets the night back to auto. You have to set it to Schedule for daytime , nighttime as it is in your area, then save that, then go back and make the Night under Day/Night to color. (Don't forget to save)

As noted before, you will need to change the times as the season changes. I think I can handle that. I only have 11 cameras.

I'm not sure what the Day/Night setting under profile management does, but it doesn't change to day and night profiles as to the Sunrise/Sunset time of the region. Maybe because I've disallowed internet access to the cameras. :idk:

BTW, Starlight COLOR is awesome!!:headbang: I just found out what I was missing. Can't believe I didn't change these sooner. I mean that's why I bought these cameras. Just so much reading of posts and I forgot the biggest advantage to them.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@SageTX - The Day/night setting would work the same way whether you had internet access or not. It uses the general profile and works well for the intended market - business and industry with lots of light and no real need to greatly fluctuate between day and night settings. You need to either go in and use the schedule and change it periodically to account for different sunrise and sunsets or use this great tool:

Set it up once and forget it!

BTW the word Starlight is simply a marketing term and is meaningless. What you were missing was better quality cameras. Reolinks are Starlight too LOL...

This is an example from Reolink's marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture. This is why you cannot buy a system based on marketing terms like Starlight.... Could this provide anything useful for the police? Would this protect your home? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two columns:

1642128312489.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you

Last edited: