System config question

car_wash_guy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not sure the correct way to set up my system, and what, if any, would be the benefits/drawbacks of each?

How should I setup the router, switch and NVR?

NVR
Cable Modem---------> Router------<
POE----------->Cameras

or

NVR
Cable modem--------->Router---------POE---------<
Cameras

ETA:

The forum is messing up my diagram,

Basically, should the NVR be connected to the router or switch?

This is the switch I'm using : http://www.ltsecurityinc.com/more/poe-switches/poe-switch-poe-sw2402l-f.html

It has the
24 PoE Ports at 10/100 Mbps + 2 Gigabit Uplink. I assume I plug the router into one of the 24 10/100 ports? What are the 2 gigabit ports for?

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have room hook the NVR to the same switch as cameras..this way no traffic passes through the router.

car_wash_guy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you have room hook the NVR to the same switch as cameras..this way no traffic passes through the router.
Ok. I have a 24 port switch and 16 cameras, so that's what I'll do.

Basically, should the NVR be connected to the router or switch?

This is the switch I'm using : http://www.ltsecurityinc.com/more/po...sw2402l-f.html

It has the
24 PoE Ports at 10/100 Mbps + 2 Gigabit Uplink. I assume I plug the router into one of the 24 10/100 ports? What are the 2 gigabit ports for?

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
typically the only thing connected to the router is the cable modem on one side and the switch on the other.. everything else goes into the main switch.

if you have one network/subnet, the router simply routes traffic too/from the internet and acts as a firewall and dhcp server.. also hopefully a VPN server.