Synology DVA3221

timblaktu

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on a "hub" for a new surveillance system, and although I do have a Synology NAS that will run Surveillance Station, it's pretty long in the tooth and I anticipate abysmal performance. I will be running four or five 4MP cams at probably 15fps.

After adding up the cost of a new server to run blue iris (or ZoneMinder), the total $$ is not far from the Synology DVA322's current price of around $1600.

I was surprised to see zero hits on this topic. Is this because everyone's using blue iris?

Would love to hear anyone's real-world first-hand experience, or even speculative opinions on this product.

timblaktu

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks. This is good feedback. I've been reading about BI's appetite for CPU and perhaps overestimated the hw requirements for a performant, responsive system.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. This is good feedback. I've been reading about BI's appetite for CPU and perhaps overestimated the hw requirements for a performant, responsive system.

Blue iris is VERY efficient with the new substream feature added recently see wiki. Most of the threads were written before this feature was added. By way of example, I have an i5-3570 system running 11 cameras 7x4mp 2x5mp and one 8mp all at about 15fps using the substream feature - the system runs at 40 percent load (this particular system is not actively displaying the cameras but running as a service, but even when logged in via teamview and the console open we are at 50 percent). Even without using that function you would be at a max 20 percent load using a cheap i5-6500.