Switching Modem and router

XtremeAaron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

I have Cox cable and have they're panaramic WiFi router. I have had 6 cameras setup for years and went to add another. I found they disabled the port Forwarding function and now require you to subscribe to Cox care and they have to do it for you.

My question is, how difficult would it be to setup my current cameras on a new third party modem and router?

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Google fiber started this bs trend and all ISP’s have jumped on the bandwagon. Don’t take their remote configured routers at the $7-10 a month charge and buy your own. Any $100-$500 make and model you buy will be easy to setup.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
If you’re looking for the most flexible device for routing / firewall and you have some time to learn. Consider pfSense / OpenSense installed on a computer system.

XtremeAaron

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you. I purchased a wifi 6e router today and will be setting it up.

I'm going to have a child any day now and don't want to lose access to the cameras while we are away at the hospital.

Is step 1 placing the modem in bridge mode, then attaching the new router to the wan port? Do I mimic the gateway/subnet on new router and open the already configured camera ports?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is step 1 placing the modem in bridge mode, then attaching the new router to the wan port? Do I mimic the gateway/subnet on new router and open the already configured camera ports?
Sounds like a good plan! Setting up the new router's subnet (and maybe DHCP pool range, IP reservations, etc.) to be like the old is a LOT easier, IMO, than changing the cams.

BTW, congrats on the upcoming baby, hope all goes well for baby and mom. :cool: