Switched from Linksys to Amcrest

tuaris

n3wb
Reaction score
For as long as I can remember I have been using Cisco Linksys IP cameras (WVC200, WVC54G, etc..). They were stable, very simple to setup and manage. Most importantly they have no cloud functionality and everything is local by default.

The main reasons I've hesitated on upgrading them was because I wasn't able to find a suitable alternative for the DVR software. Linksys at the time included a very basic Windows based application that would let you view and record up to 12 cameras (16 in some cases). It had just enough functionality for my purposes. I was only interested in viewing live feeds.

Recently I came across a recommendation for Amcrest as an upgrade path from Linksys while in this forum. When I discovered that Amcrest provides a freely downloadable Windows application (Amcrest Surveillance Pro), I decided to buy a IP2M-841W. I was pleased with the device and proceeded to purchase more cameras of varying models. The software is more 'bulky' than I would like, but I so far am able to get the functionality I want from it.

I read a few of the 1-star reviews on Amazon and I got concerned with reports of "questionable firmware" and unexpected remote access sessions. As mentioned earlier, I don't like or trust "the cloud". I setup the cameras by browsing to the IP address assigned by DHCP and logging into the web interface. Locally I use Amcrest Surveillance Pro to monitor the streams. I access the cameras with the mobile app remotely using VPN, so I can't block Internet access on them completely.

Is there any validity to those concerns about questionable firmware?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
For as long as I can remember I have been using Cisco Linksys IP cameras (WVC200, WVC54G, etc..). They were stable, very simple to setup and manage. Most importantly they have no cloud functionality and everything is local by default.

The main reasons I've hesitated on upgrading them was because I wasn't able to find a suitable alternative for the DVR software. Linksys at the time included a very basic Windows based application that would let you view and record up to 12 cameras (16 in some cases). It had just enough functionality for my purposes. I was only interested in viewing live feeds.

Recently I came across a recommendation for Amcrest as an upgrade path from Linksys while in this forum. When I discovered that Amcrest provides a freely downloadable Windows application (Amcrest Surveillance Pro), I decided to buy a IP2M-841W. I was pleased with the device and proceeded to purchase more cameras of varying models. The software is more 'bulky' than I would like, but I so far am able to get the functionality I want from it.

I read a few of the 1-star reviews on Amazon and I got concerned with reports of "questionable firmware" and unexpected remote access sessions. As mentioned earlier, I don't like or trust "the cloud". I setup the cameras by browsing to the IP address assigned by DHCP and logging into the web interface. Locally I use Amcrest Surveillance Pro to monitor the streams. I access the cameras with the mobile app remotely using VPN, so I can't block Internet access on them completely.

Is there any validity to those concerns about questionable firmware?
All amcrest cameras are made by dahua. Amcrest simply orders their name stamped on them. Amcrest Surveillance pro is dahua smartpss. As will dahua and any other camera manufacture, you need to disable all outside access for the camera , disable p2p, upnp...