switch recommendation

HomieTheClown

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey all,

Can you guys recommend me a good POE switch. I saw the list recently but it seemed like information overload since there were too many to choose from. I figured there was a popular choice for a POE switch that everyone uses kind of like how WD Purple hard drives are used. I plan on using about 8 cameras. Can't imagine anymore than that. Any ideas?

tundradude

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 4 8 port mokerlink daisy chained into my NVR at work, works awesome. I also have a tp-link 24 port gigabyte switch and works great at home.

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did not replace the fans, but I bought an 1100 watt psu for the 48 port version and put that in an things quieted down nicely vs. the 715 watt psu.
I'm surprised to hear that Higher power PSU made it quiet.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
For whatever reason...the 1100 watt cruises along 60% quieter than the 715. The 715 fans are ramping up pretty good, like its got a load on it....it's busy trying to Supply POE power to 19 cams.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Certainly try it as is. Maybe I had a janky 715 watt PSU...or I passed the the threshold of " idling along" when I loaded up most of the ports.
How many cams you running or going to run?

flatface

n3wb
Reaction score
I got a used 24 port Cisco 3560 with 802.3at. Cisco WS-C3560X-24P-S 24Port POE 1x C3KX-PWR-715WAC Network Switch #4600 | eBay
I like that i can swap cooling fans and or power supplies as pop out modules.

I've been looking into buying a switch, and used enterprise tech is most attractive to me. However I am concerned with power draw. Do you have any idea what the base power draw is with no POE devices attached? The best I could find was this spec page, which lists the power consumption at around 100 W with no load. This is a bit concerning to me, as 100W = $100/year, considering the switch will never be off. Most of the consumer-grade POE switches seem closer to 20W idle power.

Is this (5x) increased power draw worth the savings on the purchase price of the switch, and worth the extra features that a cisco switch will provide?

I do realize that cams take power too, but I would like to optimize power efficiency where possible. For example, I bought an 80+ Platinum PSU for the BI PC, as the extra 8-10% AC-->DC efficiency will make up the difference in purchase price after around 3-5 years.

flatface

n3wb
Reaction score
Also is it just me, or is it kind of crazy that Ubiquiti offers a 16-port "PoE+" switch, that has 8x PoE+ ports with a max of 30W per port.

Except the entire switch has a total PoE power output of only 45 watts. So a single (30w) PTZ cam means there is not enough power for 5 of the 8 PoE ports...right?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah mine is for a commercial account.
For my home account I use a Cisco Sg200-26P where only 302.3af power is available, on 12 ports. instead of 802.3at across 24 ports.
1683981359898.png

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will run about 8 cams. I turned it on and it's loud.

I have the 3560v2 and I don't think the noctua fans will work. I saw this in ebay and not sure if it's quiet enough:

Check out Quiet! New Blower Fan Kit 97x33mm for Cisco WS-C3750G-24T-S Catalyst Switch on eBay!
Quiet! New Blower Fan Kit 97x33mm for Cisco WS-C3750G-24T-S Catalyst Switch | eBay

Also, I came across this and not sure if it will work:

Certainly try it as is. Maybe I had a janky 715 watt PSU...or I passed the the threshold of " idling along" when I loaded up most of the ports.
How many cams you running or going to run?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been looking into buying a switch, and used enterprise tech is most attractive to me. However I am concerned with power draw. Do you have any idea what the base power draw is with no POE devices attached? The best I could find was this spec page, which lists the power consumption at around 100 W with no load. This is a bit concerning to me, as 100W = $100/year, considering the switch will never be off. Most of the consumer-grade POE switches seem closer to 20W idle power.

Is this (5x) increased power draw worth the savings on the purchase price of the switch, and worth the extra features that a cisco switch will provide?

I do realize that cams take power too, but I would like to optimize power efficiency where possible. For example, I bought an 80+ Platinum PSU for the BI PC, as the extra 8-10% AC-->DC efficiency will make up the difference in purchase price after around 3-5 years.
You are correct. Many draw significantly more power and are very loud. For most home installations go with an 8-16 port switch from a name brand.

Last edited: