Switch in the attic vs. homerun wiring?

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
For those of you that are running a number of cameras, are you running the camera cables to a switch in the attic (or wherever), then a single cable/trunk line to main switch or NIC?

Or, did you put forth the extra to put in all home runs from each cam to a patch panel?

snadz

n3wb
Reaction score
I find the contributing factor is if the switch is providing the POE or the NVR provides POE? If its the NVR all runs have to go to it. Right?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use 4 Poe switches spread around the house, in closets. These are connected to a single standard gigi switch, which is connected to the second nic card in the bi PC.

I feel that a single large Poe switch is more likely to fail or not able to provide the power to the ir cameras.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For those of you that are running a number of cameras, are you running the camera cables to a switch in the attic (or wherever), then a single cable/trunk line to main switch or NIC?

Or, did you put forth the extra to put in all home runs from each cam to a patch panel?
Hi @Whoaru99

All cables go to a nice patch panel.

If you have a detached garage or building, then I would also have another patch panel + switch for that building.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
There are pros and cons to both methods.

Remember that you need to provide power to each POE switch. So every closet or attic location where you want a switch will need to have power available. And you will have to visit all of these locations to troubleshoot or maintain the switches. And as has been mentioned, if these locations are not climate-controlled, the electronics can suffer.

But the advantages of distributing the switches around are that you need less wire, you can have lower voltage drop to each camera, and as was mentioned, you don't hav all of your eggs in one basket.

I have a few switches, but I have them all in climate-controlled areas and readily accessible.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi @Whoaru99

All cables go to a nice patch panel.

If you have a detached garage or building, then I would also have another patch panel + switch for that building.
I'm still undecided about the house as in attic or home runs. The garage is not climate controlled so no consideration for that; whatever is there will for sure bake in the summer and freeze in the winter. There will be a switch in the garage, perhaps with a fiber link to the house. Don't need fiber for the bandwidth but it does eliminate surge/spike supression consideration of a long copper line.

Not sure how "industrial" it (see below) can be for $70, but it does list a pretty wide operating temp range -22F to 149F. And, it has a SFP jack where a fiber transceiver could go.

Anyone using one: https://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-Industrial-Switch-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B075FZQX14/ref=asc_df_B075FZQX14/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309807187084&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2256924066707345229&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9020001&hvtargid=pla-571865990838&psc=1

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All cameras home-run to a 12 port patch panel on my office closet wall. Patch cords connect them to an 18 port POE switch which uplinks to my main switch. This closet already contained my networking stuff and NAS before cameras were even a thought. While I don't have AC and it can get very hot in there, it's still cooler than the attic would be. And who wants to terminate cable in an attic anyway. Also, if your POE switch were in an inaccessible place like an attic, power cycling a camera would be difficult.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I currently have these and I’m impressed with there performance, but the downside is they don’t provide port covers for the ports your not using.
I have the 18 port version. No complaints. I've bought many brands of switches over the year and never seen any come with RJ45 covers.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have the 18 port version. No complaints. I've bought many brands of switches over the year and never seen any come with RJ45 covers.
Same here, but it does seem like something intended for a more harsh operating environment might be wise to include such.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My Ubiquiti US-8-150 came with covers on the SFP jacks only.
Amazon has a ton of vendors selling RJ45 dust covers.

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm still undecided about the house as in attic or home runs. The garage is not climate controlled so no consideration for that; whatever is there will for sure bake in the summer and freeze in the winter. There will be a switch in the garage, perhaps with a fiber link to the house. Don't need fiber for the bandwidth but it does eliminate surge/spike supression consideration of a long copper line.

Not sure how "industrial" it (see below) can be for $70, but it does list a pretty wide operating temp range -22F to 149F. And, it has a SFP jack where a fiber transceiver could go.

Anyone using one: https://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-Industrial-Switch-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B075FZQX14/ref=asc_df_B075FZQX14/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309807187084&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2256924066707345229&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9020001&hvtargid=pla-571865990838&psc=1
Fiber is a fantastic way to eliminate spike and surge coupling and pick-up. That is especially important when making runs between separate buildings or even within large ones where ground points may well be at vastly different potentials at the moments when lightning hits nearby.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.