Surveillance Station Installation Start

Reaction score
Here is the beginning of the installation in my basement. I've done communications operations & maintenance but I really haven't done installations so hopefully it's not too bad for the setup/work/installation ... Sorry for the low lighting. I have a LED work light I'm mounting later this week.

I plan to install a dedicated POE switch below the patch panel dedicated to just cameras and other POE devices. Temporarily I have a small 5-port POE switch in the garage for the cameras on the front of the house I was playing around with.

Once I get a keyboard/trackpad combo, I can get rid of the mouse and the small black shelf that is on the side of the rack.

The heart of the system is a computer running Blue Iris (i7-6700, Intel HD 530, 8GB Ram, 5TB storage drive) that I have locked inside the orange Rigid work box (bolted to the floor for good measure). A thief can quickly steal anything they can grab but the computer with all the footage of them won't be one of those. I cut 2" conduit holes on the sides for ventilation and added an box w/ A/C fan to pull fresh air thru the enclosure keep is nice and cool.

IMG_0050.jpg IMG_0051.jpg IMG_0052.jpg IMG_0055.jpg IMG_0059.jpg

Reaction score
Here is my first attempt at the camera I started with on the front and one in the garage. They are cheap Reo-Link 410 cameras that I will probably upgrade later, but are working right now.

I didn't want to run conduit outside, so neighbors wouldn't see my bad conduit work, so I ran them on the inside of the garage and then through the walls to where the boxes for the cameras would be.

The ones at the top corners of the garage cross looking up and down the street.

IMG_0040.jpgIMG_0039.jpgIMG_0041.jpgIMG_0043.jpgIMG_0044.jpgIMG_0045.jpgIMG_0047.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Those Reo-Link cameras look a lot like Hiks
They are not. The suffer from a firmware deficiency that causes problems with BI. The developer is working on a fix as indicated in the latest BI release notes.

howardrya

n3wb
Reaction score
Did you post this on r/homelab? Looked familiar. Great job on the job chest btw.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm about to start my own installation. May I ask, I notice your garage cameras are mounted on a box, and the door camera is mounted flush to the house. Is there a particular reason for doing it this way?

door.jpgnobox.jpg

Attachments

Reaction score
I'm about to start my own installation. May I ask, I notice your garage cameras are mounted on a box, and the door camera is mounted flush to the house. Is there a particular reason for doing it this way?
I originally only ordered one camera to play with, the one at the front door. When I installed it, I hadn't considered a box at the time (I had never installed a camera before). I just thought the box would look odd sticking out at the top of the door. If I change the camera I might put a proper box as it makes it easier when working with the connectors.

When I did the ones on the garage, the boxes helped lower the cameras a little to give a better straight out view from under the eve of the roof/rain lip guard to the street. I don't have the roofline eve in the cameras views. (also made cables and camera mounting easier having the boxes).

The short answer: No reason, I just hadn't thought it through :)

IMG_0070.jpg IMG_0071.jpg

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Warlord, that Rigid job box installation is seriously demented. Nice install. I've got the same job box, but mine is filled with .308, 9mm and buckshot; I'd need a crane to lift that sucker out of the basement.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Good job on the install. One question though. How come you didn't use weatherproof boxes on the outside? Even though they are under the soffit, moisture can still ruin your boxes and connections.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Very nice install, that Rigid box as a means of locking down the NVR PC is a brilliant idea.

Warlord, that Rigid job box installation is seriously demented. Nice install. I've got the same job box, but mine is filled with .308, 9mm and buckshot; I'd need a crane to lift that sucker out of the basement.
LOL Q2U I like the idea that you don't have Thor's Hammer Mjolnir but rather Thor's Job Box, it sounds dense enough to slow the passage of time when you are near it.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, very nice!...All this reading, reviewing and researching, bugging people with my questions and myriad opinions of all the components out there....Seeing a professional setup like that just makes me want to hire someone to come out to do it all and be done....Unfortunately, I have professional visions but only a do-it-yourself budget, so back to the forum I go.