Surge protection for POE

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Going to be mounting two IP poe cameras to an out side 16 foot aluminum pole, (Pole is not up yet). Never installed cameras outside to a metal pole so I figured a surge or lighting protector would be a good thing to have.

I need one for both camera and dvr side correct?

Any ideas on models or brands? I have lot of space to mount it inside the pole area

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For lack of responses (and I am very interested too) and so these reference documents are linked here:

http://www.nist.gov/pml/div684/upload/Surges_happen.pdf

http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_lhm/IEEE_Guide.pdf

First one is for interested professionals, the second goes into the fine details. Both great resources but little direct application to IPTV installs. I have been searching HAM forums for some good technical documentation because these guys must have similar issues with hanging valuable gear on lightning rods.

frankred

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have seen lightning arrestors for network cable. I think it supported POE. I think I saw it on Ubiquitis site when looking at ToughCable. The cable has a built in ground that is wired to connectors. I haven't used any of it, just wanted to make you aware of the concepts.
(On mobile)

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its best to put them as close to the camera as feasible, there is a fire risk.. putting it inside should be fine if its not mounted to or near something flammable.

vtn2010

n3wb
Reaction score
We had a bad storm here around 3weeks ago and i had all my poe switch and router fried. Still powers on but none of the port works. They where on regular surge protector too.
Lucky my ip cam is still working had to get new switch and router. now i have all my cat5 going through my surge backup battery. Didnt know that then lesson learned.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
for adequate protection all wires that go outside should have gas discharge lightning protection on them.. My Cable Internet has one, My Sprinkler System Has em, my Outdoor WiFi has em, my OD IP Cameras Have, all my other antennas are in the attic even have em, and all other gear is mounted into a rack thats grounded and running off a pair of 3000VA UPS's.. and I have a whole house surge supressor installed in the main fuse panel.

and I still have no hope of surviving a direct hit, merely deflecting a near-hit.. good thing all my neighbor's houses are taller than I, shame we are electrically connected at the shared box in the back yard, good thing all its underground so hopefully it'll find earth before making it into my house.. I think I might add another grounding rod to that metal box in the neighbors yard when we go to redo our fence (just pound it into a post hole and bolt a copper wire to the box before filling w/concrete)

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@nayr so I should have one at both ends of the run correct.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@nayr So the outside one is sufficient nayr? Should it be on the building side or camera side?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's some photos of L-Com units that I used in one of my outdoor installations. I purchased a 3-pack on eBay for $45.00 a few years ago...

Out4-11a.jpg

Out4-11b.jpg