Surfshark VPN

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
So you're saying that you can connect to the VPN while on the PC. Is that with the PC inside or outside of your network?

How about from outside on your phone? Can you make a connection to the VPN from it using the VPN client?

How have you set the address of your home network in the VPN client? DDNS? Static IP?

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
In the blue iris app, enter the lan address in the wan box
BINGO :)

I ran the remote access wizard on my PC and just added the Wan address into my Phones BI App and Bingo thank you.

Does this mean my Network is safe now from outside as Only this week I have been a target from scammers Via PP so hence the big security update started with a format on my PC and this Asus router with the built in OpenVPN.
I have looked at the Wiki nots disabled UPNP and made sure time and everything was in sync. Anything else I need to do ?

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
So you're saying that you can connect to the VPN while on the PC. Is that with the PC inside or outside of your network?

How about from outside on your phone? Can you make a connection to the VPN from it using the VPN client?

How have you set the address of your home network in the VPN client? DDNS? Static IP?
Pc is Inside network
I can connect to vpn client on my phone
I have not set my address of the home network in VPN client DDNS static IP , do I need to make my address Via the Asus router page ?

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok made the WAN - DDNS name *@Asuscomm.com but not sure what this is for and please bear with me guys this old head is aching trying to take all this info in just like Johhny5!

Do I need to enable Web Access?
2020-10-01 23_32_26-ASUS DSL-N16 Wireless-N300 VDSL2_ADSL2+ Modem Router - System and 2 more p...jpg

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Pc is Inside network
I can connect to vpn client on my phone

I have not set my address of the home network in VPN client DDNS static IP , do I need to make my address Via the Asus router page ?
If you're connected from outside of your network now, then you should be good as far as that goes now.

Don't change the WAN address in the BI app. As fenderman said above, it should be a local address. Once connected to the VPN your client effectively becomes a device on your local network. So the BI WAN address should be the same and the LAN address.

If you can hit the BI server on your phone from outside of your network, then you should be OK. Don't need to do anything. The profile you imported should have the address of your router whether using DDNS or static and if you can get there now, then that must be right. Looks like you set up to use the DDNS service on the Asus.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank You Mike & Fenderman for your help all seams to be working now and not opened any ports or anything like that.

The only thing I have found is my TeamViewer won't work from my outside network to my PC

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Do I need to enable Web Access?
That provides access to the web interface that you're using to manage the router from the WAN. You don't want that on. Subject to potential intrusion, weak passwords/brute force, and other possible vulnerabilities.

One thing useful that you can do is to restrict Internet access for the cams. You'll be using BI to view things from outside of your network. If you do need access to a certain cam for some reason, you can access the router over the VPN and turn access back on temporarily. You'll need to set up to get the time sync'ed on the cams from your local net if you do.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
No, but you should turn that off in the cam too.

To restrict access for a device on your net, go to the main screen of the router.

Look where it says "Clients: " with a circular button above. Click that button.

That will bring up a list of devices on your net in the box to the right.

Click on the device that you want to block and in the box that pops up look for the switch that says "Block Internet Access."

There you also can bind a given device to a specific IP address by MAC, change the name and icon shown, and limit access by time.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Mike I got the boxes but nothing happens when I click on the devices.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Should pop up a box that looks like that shown here (won't let me link the picture):

Not sure why it wouldn't come up. Try another browser maybe?

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Mike tried about 4 different browsers and non open the devices like that picture, saying that is is an older ASUS Router not an up to date one but as long as I am safe I'm happy.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Hmmm... Don't know. It's worked that way forever. There's another way to do it though the list but not as easy.

My firmware version shows as 3.0.0.4.384_32738. Tried to check what the most current is but can't connect to the Asus server right now.

What version does yours show?

Edit to add:

I updated the firmware on my 68R tonight to the latest version (3.0.0.4.385_20633) released 8/14/2020 and it still works the same way as I described above.

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Ahhh... For some reason I was thinking that you'd bought the 68R/U. I guess your version doesn't have the ability to block that way. Odd. Every other Asus router I've seen does the same way.

Check under Parental Controls for the same functionality. Also might be able to do under Network Services.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Will look Monday Mike as we are holiday home this weekend and I appreciate your help.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Home now Mike and it was Under PARENTAL CONTROLS many thanks and added them to the block list.