Sunlight Issue question

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have sevceral of the older Sercomm Icamera2 / Comcast / ADT cameras im using with Blue iris. The cameras in the back and above my driveway have been working fine for years, but the one camera position lower around the first floor window also facing south keeps giving me problems.
I have replaced the camera in this spot 3 times now. Each camera in this spot eventually has issues with the IR switching from day to night, and eventually the camera just goes offline, and i cannot get it back even with a reset.
Do you guys think too much sun is damaging the sensor after some time in this one location? or any tips to prevent this? i only have this issue in this one location, not the other locations.
im going through too many cameras!!

thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,
its actually ethernet or wifi..
This is the camera --> ICAMERA2 Wireless Network Camera User Manual iCamera2_Manual_v1.1 Sercomm

Once the camera starts having this issue, its toast.. it either wont come online or the IR sensor is just shot and it crashes when switching into night mode.
Doesnt matter if i bring it inside or not, it wont come back now even after a reset.
Im gonna try to put another one out but this time with a makeshift top and side covers to help shield some sun, and also put some clear UV resistant gorilla tape directly over the lens to see if that will help.
If that still doesnt help and i lose another camera, i think i will just have to try another camera model.

Whats good about these older sercomm icamera2 models is that the only input on the camera is a cat5 cable, so i can run a flat cat5 cable under a window snap without issue. Really saves me from drilling any holes for power cables.

thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Flat Cat cables are a known for having issues. As @looney2ns suggested, bring inside and test with a good premade cable. You may find it is not the cam but the cable.

Most current IP cams these days are POE powered and do not need more than a Cat cable. Some do come with additional connections, but rarely are needed.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
its actually ethernet or wifi..
This is the camera --> ICAMERA2 Wireless Network Camera User Manual iCamera2_Manual_v1.1 Sercomm

Once the camera starts having this issue, its toast.. it either wont come online or the IR sensor is just shot and it crashes when switching into night mode.
Doesnt matter if i bring it inside or not, it wont come back now even after a reset.
Im gonna try to put another one out but this time with a makeshift top and side covers to help shield some sun, and also put some clear UV resistant gorilla tape directly over the lens to see if that will help.
If that still doesnt help and i lose another camera, i think i will just have to try another camera model.

Whats good about these older sercomm icamera2 models is that the only input on the camera is a cat5 cable, so i can run a flat cat5 cable under a window snap without issue. Really saves me from drilling any holes for power cables.

thanks for the help!
Welcome @Johnny Cakes

720P HD camera, and a quick look I was unable to find specs to see the temp range.

1) If you can afford it, go with a better newer camera ( ideally rated better for temp ).
2) flatcables for POE are problematic - the wires are too thin to carry power well.

If you own the house, would be a good idea to upgrade the camera and cable imho.

1622845002032.png
1622845030715.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 on suggestions regarding flat cable and heat. The iCamera2's are indoor cams and it may be that the prolonged southern exposure during summer months is too much for its internals.

I have a Sercomm RC4551, also an indoor cam, installed in the ceiling of a bluebird house that has been good all last summer and this beginning summer, with Alabama temps up to low 90s outside the birdhouse. So far, so good.

However, before I installed it I peeled the ID label off the back of the cam and installed a piece of an aluminum heatsink, thermally bonded to the existing flat metal surround with double-sided thermal foam tape and mechanically with two SS machine screws, nuts & washers.

RC4551_label_sm.jpg RC4551_label-peel_sm.jpg RC4551_rear_sm.jpg

RC4551_heatsink_sm.jpg RC4551_mount_sm.jpg RC4551_house_sm.jpg

EDIT: 0955, added image below to detail augmenting the internal metal heatsink with the added external, finned one.

RC4551_internals_sm.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.