SUNBA PoE+ PTZ Camera Outdoor, 36X Optical Zoom 5MP

Saltster

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well like 3 people expressed concerns about quality at night time and after your video like 3 people expressed that the the night time quality looked good and better than expected.

But then again, you are on default settings and the motion was minimal on the video, so it isn't a true test of nighttime capabilities...

I still want to see a nighttime video/image with the shutter at 1/2,000 as that will tell us how good/bad the firmware is.
I thought the deer tong movement was fast and clear?

Reaction score
601-D25X 5MP Ver
I just snagged one of these at a local auction for $120.
Wanted (but never needed) a PTZ for backyard so this would be more akin to a .... toy.
This is a $379+ retail camera, unlike the OP's $499 version. Couldn't find anything about IVS or such so will use Blue Iris's motion detection probably.
This will mainly be a weather camera high up on a post.
I'll get some vids up after the holidays.

Reaction score
I hope I'm allowed to talk about other cameras? if not let me know. Thanks

After having some of my Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and IPC-HFW5231E-Z12E and PTZ fail. and after receiving a scratched Dahua camera and scratched lens that was replaced by Andy. and now in short supply. I need replacements.

I started searching for some other low-light IR cameras.
I live on acreage and my cameras listed above did OK but I never did like the resolution.

So I started searching and reading reviews.

I came upon the below camera and decided to pull the trigger.

SUNBA PoE+ PTZ Camera Outdoor, 36X Optical Zoom 5MP Dome Security Camera, Long Range Infrared Night Vision up to 1500ft (P636 V2, Performance Series)
I ordered it off of Amazon direct from the manufacturer
received the camera and updated the firmware, (all went flawlessly)

The resolution is outstanding and the IR blow me away.

I zoomed in 36X time at night and the IR kicked too high and I can see everything as if it was day and the focus is perfect even at night

I did not know that there were any cameras out there that can see out over 1500 feet at night perfectly.
the house up the road and across the lake is over 1500 feet and I can see it perfected day and at night, zoomed in 36x right up to the doors.
Wow, I'm blown away by this camera.

I just ordered a second one and waiting for it to arrive. I am also ordering four more of their smaller ones for each corner of my house.

The only thing that I'm trying to correct is that I have it mounted on an 18 ft metal pole with three guide wires and I am getting wobbling in high winds. I ordered a better pole mount bracket that should be here this weekend.

does anyone have experience with PTZ on poles? if so how did you mount yours and is there any wind wobble?

Anyways I'm excited about this camera and thought I would share my thoughts.

Thanks

View attachment 125814
You made the right choice. That camera uses Sony's Exmor sensor which is the best CMOS sensor available; it's the same sensor (but most likely different model) as the cameras sensors in iPhones. I'd get that too if I were to get one for myself.
You'll always gonna get vibrations on a pole especially if the pole wasn't designed for a camera. The best you can hope for is to mount it as low as practicable (12'-14'). I know this as someone who does physical security as a profession. Good luck.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
601-D25X 5MP Ver
I just snagged one of these at a local auction for $120.
Wanted (but never needed) a PTZ for backyard so this would be more akin to a .... toy.
This is a $379+ retail camera, unlike the OP's $499 version. Couldn't find anything about IVS or such so will use Blue Iris's motion detection probably.
This will mainly be a weather camera high up on a post.
I'll get some vids up after the holidays.
Recieved it. As with any auction find, you never know if it's broken or new in box. Luckily, this was new in box.
Plugged into my POE switch and it boots up. Had to use IE to log into it (no go for Chrome). Immediately disabled P2P and other 'please hack me' settings (it's on a closed VLAN so wouldn't of been able to reach home anyways).
Right off the bat, do not see anything related to IVS. Just simply motion detection. X, Y, and Z function and move. Firmware is from 2020 with no update available.
Once this icky weather passes on by, I plan to put it up 10'-12' on a pole and then get some pix/vid.
The GUI looks a little cartoonish. The help PDF said only way to setup the camera was via 'please hack me' downloadable app. Of course, didn't do that and logged directly into the camera itself.
Blue Iris auto-detected as CANTOK. Had to manually hange to SUNBA. 3 different config for SUNBA. 2 out of 3 didn't work. Had to select 'Illuminati' (though this is the lite version).
Iframes is limited to 12 so that is what I mated the FPS to.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Recieved it. As with any auction find, you never know if it's broken or new in box. Luckily, this was new in box.
Plugged into my POE switch and it boots up. Had to use IE to log into it (no go for Chrome). Immediately disabled P2P and other 'please hack me' settings (it's on a closed VLAN so wouldn't of been able to reach home anyways).
Right off the bat, do not see anything related to IVS. Just simply motion detection. X, Y, and Z function and move. Firmware is from 2020 with no update available.
Once this icky weather passes on by, I plan to put it up 10'-12' on a pole and then get some pix/vid.
The GUI looks a little cartoonish. The help PDF said only way to setup the camera was via 'please hack me' downloadable app. Of course, didn't do that and logged directly into the camera itself.
Blue Iris auto-detected as CANTOK. Had to manually hange to SUNBA. 3 different config for SUNBA. 2 out of 3 didn't work. Had to select 'Illuminati' (though this is the lite version).
Iframes is limited to 12 so that is what I mated the FPS to.

IVS is Dahua marketing term for AI detection, as is Accusense for Hikvision, so you won't find IVS on a Sunba LOL. I do not believe this model has any AI detection.

Did the camera work in BI when it came in as CANTOK? Remember BI is usually pretty good at selecting the "right" camera config in the find/inspect.

My Sunba came in as generic and it works in BI.

My Sunba was my first PTZ to play with and try before I moved on to Dahua. I used it for my poor-mans autotracking with clone cameras in BI and different zones to call up different presets to mimic tracking. It worked pretty well.

Sadly, the Sunba now will spin around a while and stop where ever it wants for a preset. Some days it stops on the correct field of view for a preset, but most days not so much.

Since you started with the 49225 PTZ, you will be disappointed in the inability to set true shutter speeds and what not, but for a non-critical mission location, you will have fun with it.

Reaction score
IVS is Dahua marketing term for AI detection, as is Accusense for Hikvision, so you won't find IVS on a Sunba LOL. I do not believe this model has any AI detection.

Did the camera work in BI when it came in as CANTOK? Remember BI is usually pretty good at selecting the "right" camera config in the find/inspect.

My Sunba came in as generic and it works in BI.

My Sunba was my first PTZ to play with and try before I moved on to Dahua. I used it for my poor-mans autotracking with clone cameras in BI and different zones to call up different presets to mimic tracking. It worked pretty well.

Sadly, the Sunba now will spin around a while and stop where ever it wants for a preset. Some days it stops on the correct field of view for a preset, but most days not so much.

Since you started with the 49225 PTZ, you will be disappointed in the inability to set true shutter speeds and what not, but for a non-critical mission location, you will have fun with it.
The camera did not work for the CANTOK selection. Hence, had to manually find SUMBA and the Illuminati option.
Yep, this will be a non-critical use camera. I have to decide to put it 10'-12' or even higher up near the roof line. Main use will be to see incoming far away storms rolling over the mountain ranges and various activities in the backyard where it would be nice to manually rotate to keep eye on things like pets in the backyard.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Reading this thread has been interesting because I also have the Sunba P636 V2 PTZ camera. It works well at 1X zoom, but people images are blurry if I zoom in at 50-feet, so I was hoping to learn how to adjust the various settings to make it better. I have a Lorex NVR and use Lorex cloud software for both live view and playback. It works fine for my Lorex cameras, but on the Sunba P636 I can't control the slide bar during playback when moving it to a specific timestamp period because it jumps around all over the place. My only workaround is to get it as close as I can and then increase the playback speed and slow it back down when I get close to the exact timestamp frame I want to see. Lorex software is very annoying to say the least. I tried BI and even bought an Intel NUC PC for it, but later found out that BI doesn't support PTZ auto tracking. I have nine Lorex 4K cameras and six of them are pole mounted in the yard away from the house. I used 16-foot pressure treated 4x4 posts buried 3-feet in the ground with concrete around the base and extending above ground level, so my cameras sit about 13-feet off the ground which has worked very well. I dug a trench and buried 3/4" PVC electrical conduit in the ground and running up the pole for the LAN cables so they are not exposed to the elements at all. Sometimes on a windy day the cameras will move around, but for the most part it's pretty stable and honestly any type of pole that high up in the air will get some movement in the wind.

Reaction score
Reading this thread has been interesting because I also have the Sunba P636 V2 PTZ camera. It works well at 1X zoom, but people images are blurry if I zoom in at 50-feet, so I was hoping to learn how to adjust the various settings to make it better. I have a Lorex NVR and use Lorex cloud software for both live view and playback. It works fine for my Lorex cameras, but on the Sunba P636 I can't control the slide bar during playback when moving it to a specific timestamp period because it jumps around all over the place. My only workaround is to get it as close as I can and then increase the playback speed and slow it back down when I get close to the exact timestamp frame I want to see. Lorex software is very annoying to say the least. I tried BI and even bought an Intel NUC PC for it, but later found out that BI doesn't support PTZ auto tracking. I have nine Lorex 4K cameras and six of them are pole mounted in the yard away from the house. I used 16-foot pressure treated 4x4 posts buried 3-feet in the ground with concrete around the base and extending above ground level, so my cameras sit about 13-feet off the ground which has worked very well. I dug a trench and buried 3/4" PVC electrical conduit in the ground and running up the pole for the LAN cables so they are not exposed to the elements at all. Sometimes on a windy day the cameras will move around, but for the most part it's pretty stable and honestly any type of pole that high up in the air will get some movement in the wind.
It sounds like the blurry problem is with your NVR. Try downloading Hanwha Wisenet WAVE and see how that works. It's a fully working VMS; it just doesn't support recording unless you buy a one time camera license for $166. BI doesn't seem to support PTZ cameras very well. In fact since the debacle with their server, I can't seem to control my Sunba (same model as yours) through BI anymore. I just use the Guard Viewer app to control the PTZ.
The problem I have is the P636 PTZ; it's slow as molasses and auto-tracking is horrible. It just goes all over the place when trying to track an object (people/cars). I have a $200 camera that does a hell of a lot better in auto-tracking; it zooms in like it should and it's pretty stable when auto-tracking. But I hate the thought of replacing an expensive camera with a cheaper camera but I may be forced to do it. I'm hoping Sunba will fix the problem soon.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It sounds like the blurry problem is with your NVR. Try downloading Hanwha Wisenet WAVE and see how that works. It's a fully working VMS; it just doesn't support recording unless you buy a one time camera license for $166. BI doesn't seem to support PTZ cameras very well. In fact since the debacle with their server, I can't seem to control my Sunba (same model as yours) through BI anymore. I just use the Guard Viewer app to control the PTZ.
The problem I have is the P636 PTZ; it's slow as molasses and auto-tracking is horrible. It just goes all over the place when trying to track an object (people/cars). I have a $200 camera that does a hell of a lot better in auto-tracking; it zooms in like it should and it's pretty stable when auto-tracking. But I hate the thought of replacing an expensive camera with a cheaper camera but I may be forced to do it. I'm hoping Sunba will fix the problem soon.
Thanks for the heads up regarding trying Hanwha Wisenet Wave. Yes it could be the NVR and/or the crappy Lorex software. But I also haven't studied the camera settings enough to know how to tweak it yet. I was busy during the BI trial period and really didn't get to play with it very much, plus the steep learning curve it has. You can control the Sunba PTZ straight from the web interface without using Guard Viewer. I can control it with the Lorex cloud app even if I'm not at home, but it has a huge response delay between when I swipe a command until the camera actually does anything. That could be network lag time, but it does work in a pinch. I have to say that out of all my cameras the Sunba has the best picture quality and color brilliance that is very noticeable compared to the Lorex 4K cameras. I have a Samsung display connected to the NVR right next to the TV so I can see all of the cameras in scrolling live view. Whenever I have company over and the Sunba stream comes up on the display screen they're like "wow...that's impressive". Sunba support was very responsive when I contacted them about updating the FW required to support auto tracking on my P636 when I first bought it, so reach out to them regarding your issue and see what they say.

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up regarding trying Hanwha Wisenet Wave. Yes it could be the NVR and/or the crappy Lorex software. But I also haven't studied the camera settings enough to know how to tweak it yet. I was busy during the BI trial period and really didn't get to play with it very much, plus the steep learning curve it has. You can control the Sunba PTZ straight from the web interface without using Guard Viewer. I can control it with the Lorex cloud app even if I'm not at home, but it has a huge response delay between when I swipe a command until the camera actually does anything. That could be network lag time, but it does work in a pinch. I have to say that out of all my cameras the Sunba has the best picture quality and color brilliance that is very noticeable compared to the Lorex 4K cameras. I have a Samsung display connected to the NVR right next to the TV so I can see all of the cameras in scrolling live view. Whenever I have company over and the Sunba stream comes up on the display screen they're like "wow...that's impressive". Sunba support was very responsive when I contacted them about updating the FW required to support auto tracking on my P636 when I first bought it, so reach out to them regarding your issue and see what they say.
Yeah I reached out to them as well. They sent me a link for the latest FW when I first got it. It solved the problem where it would pan endlessly; at least it doesn't do that anymore when it's auto-tracking. The PTZ has a considerable lag even when you're on the camera's web interface to begin with but I can live with that. And it's obviously worse when remotely accessing it. It's the auto-tracking that's really pretty bad. I have installed some of the professional brands from Axis, Hanwha, etc. which are relatively responsive but obviously can't compare $2K-$3K cameras to one that sells for $400-$500. I just wish the auto-tracking would stay on target and zoom better. I've evaluated the $200+ Vykilyn PTZ and it puts the P636 to shame.